Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

NOID 'weed'

A friend gave me this, it grows next to her patio, some kind of perennial houseplant-type "weed." Looks like a Callisia or Tradescantia to me.

{{gwi:82941}}

{{gwi:82943}}

Comments (13)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning Purple,

What a pretty 'WEED???' lol.

Sorry, I don't know what it is, but the leaves are nice-looking. Could be Tradescantia.

Is this plant hardy to your area? Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it is hardy, she said if piece falls on the ground it will grow, now several patches in her yard. I never brought it inside, she gave it to me last fall. Looks kinda funky because I repotted it just before taking the pic so I could give her ceramic pot back, some of the pieces are "upside-down." Maybe it would grow where the drought killed the grass. No mow, softer, evergreen... improvement!

AL has the best weeds!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, I agree...the south has some true beautys.

Think I mentioned this before, but while we were down south, a small Orchid, or what looked very much like an Orchid, grew wild.

Do you think your new mystery plant is invasive? Are you going to grow as a house plant?

Are its leaves yellow or very light green? It reminds me of a plant I once had, but can't recall the name. lol.
    It was viney, yellow leaves w/red stems..

Original Author
    11 years ago

They leaves had gotten kind of yellow on my much more shady back porch for the winter, but are getting more green since I put it out front a few weeks ago.

As far as invasive... no idea without knowing what it is, but doubt it's a native and being perennial, there would seem to be potential for it to be.

I haven't spotted any orchids, will keep my eyes open! There are some really pretty white irises that grow in a ditch nearby (shady, moist). If I had a place for them, I'd try to get some.

• elsier
    11 years ago

how about Tradescantia flumenensis?

Elsie

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a different plant that is Tradescantia fluminensis (I think.) It has darker, less fleshy leaves, and thinner, more wiry stems, starting to make buds for little white flowers. The NOID plant is not as dark and has thicker, fleshier stems.

It is also very similar to Callisia repens but the nodes are farther apart, leaves are very pointed and completely smooth, red margins. I can't see the veins unless I look at the back of the leaves.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's more pics of this plant today, any more ideas?

{{gwi:82945}}

{{gwi:82947}}

{{gwi:82949}}

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

You were right in the beginning, it's just a matter of figuring out which one. Same thing might be at a nearby independent plant outlet.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking & for the reply. I know you are usually right and although your answers are often cryptic I usually get it. But I'm confused if you mean the beginning as in weed, or as in Tradescantia/Callisia. The extremely nice owner of the (single) nearby plant store seems more of a common name type than a botanical name type. I think I'm in good hands here on these forums. Just out of names to google images of...

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Purple,
    First, a weed is a plant that someone hasn't found a use for yet. So there are no weeds to speak of. Also you need to examine the flower when it gets one. That should tell you what family it belongs. Please keep us informed on what you find out. I do like it. I have several tradescantias and they do look like that family.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh I've found a use for this plant. It's in a hanging basket on my front porch. Hopefully that won't turn out to be the dumbest thing I've done in a while. Starting to remind me of the beautiful poke plant I coddled a couple decades ago...

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Purple,

It's definitely in the Tradescantia family, I don't know which, seems folks here aren't too sure either. You may not get further names that are definite. You could also try taking a handful of clippings of it your to local nurseries & see if they have a name.

I'd suggest the last resort here is to post those pix to GW's 'Name that Plant' Forum & ask there. Someone MAY know.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! It's percolating over there on NTP, also. It must be hard to imagine but there are no local nurseries here.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler