Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxalis question

Posted by Will07 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 14:12

Today I brought my mother's oxalis outside, it over winters in the basement under a grow light, doesn't really get a y foliage until it goes outside for the summer. Anyway, it is in a planter box about 1.5-2'long and there were 2 (yes two) leaves in the centre of the box. I decided today I would divide the tubers because it has been growing in the same box for probably over 5 years and each year the growth gets progressively worse. So to my surprise the tubers were all soft and mushy exept for maybe 5 of them the longest measuring about 1 inch and the smallest probably 1/4". Those tubers looked healthy and full of water, they were a pinkish white and 1 of the leaves was growing from this one, where as the other leaf was growing from one of the mushy ones. There were also rock hard tubers that looked like they literally had turned to stone. I took the healthy looking ones and planted them in a small pot and threw everything else out.

So my question, were the mushy tubers all dead? And will the newly planted ones survive? I couldn't care less about this plant but my mother will be mad if I threw out her plant she had for several years whether it was dead or alive. I'm hoping the small pot starts so she can have a much smaller plant that looks nicer and fuller than the hideous box she had the weeds growing in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxalis question

In the process of moving these out of beds and to other border spots, so took a couple pics just now for you.

A close-up shows they make upper and lower bulbs. Each are capable of living autonomously, which seems to be a brilliant survival technique. If the top layer is removed, the lower bulbs are ready to grow again. I haven't been an observer long enough to know which is the older part, which is the newer. Sometimes they kind of look like a string of pearls, sometimes like a little lumpy sausage. After removing most of the soil, I tried to arrange it as closely as possible to how it was arranged in the ground, depth-wise at least. The two bulb pieces at the bottom of the pic are way out of place, ignore that.

None of it should be mushy. Sounds like it was getting way too much water while dormant.

o

Thanks for the quick reply and pic of healthy roots. Mine looked NOTHING like this and there was no sign of any roots so I'm going to assume they were dead but hopefully the few I saved will sprout.

o

I hope so too. People who try to get rid of this stuff have an awful time, so I'm led to believe even the tiniest little bulblet or even root pieces can keep growing. Is your plant this same color or the kind with the purple leaves?

o

It is like yours the green one

o

Good golly, Miss Molly, I have PLENTY. If you need more it's available for the cost of the postage. Bulbs travel well. You're welcome to send me a private note if you'd like to discuss it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here