Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Epiphyllum Mystery

birdsnblooms
12 years ago

In 1994, I bought an Epi at a garage sale. 4.00.

lt took about 7-years before the first flower made an appearance.

Once it bloomed, (3-years after) during summer only one flower would grow. The last 4-5 years, it send out, at the minimum, 9-15 blooms per summer. Guess it needed time.

Here's a pic of the blooms my Epi produced over the years.

{{gwi:83072}}

Flower opens at night, unfortunately, this is the best day time pic I have. Sorry.

Now, a couple weeks ago I noticed buds on the exact, same Epiphyllum.

Buds

{{gwi:83073}}

Yesterday, I took pics after buds opened.

{{gwi:83074}}

{{gwi:83075}}

What in he world is going on?

Flowers are usually pink and white, 7-9" long. The flowers are now rounder, and deep red.

Does anyone know why and how they'd change? This Epiphyllum has been in the exact same light, getting the exact same care.

Thanks, Toni

Comments (12)

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

I would post to the Cactus and Succulent Forum.

Linda

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Oops, Cacti and Succulents.

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

Epiphyllums can "sport" like african violets and hostas do. That seems like the most likely explanation to me.
    Or maybe a seed germinated in the pot and since it was a seed it didn't grow true to the parent plant?

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, good idea..thanks.

Summer. Maybe you're right. I haven't any ideas why or how it happened.
    Where would the seed come from?
    Whatever the reason, I like the idea of different flowers in the same plant. lol. Toni

• EpiGuy
    11 years ago

Hi Toni,

from what I can see your first photo appears to show an Epiphyllum oxypetalum in bloom (the leaf and flower combination is unmistakable) now your next photo's are most definitely of a different plant! (probably of Epiphyllum 'Ackermannii' hybrid origin) most likely what has happened is that the original plant you bought was a mixed bag of cuttings so to speak from multiple plants so they may appear to come from the same plant but actually it is multiple plants in the same pot =)

I hope I have been of some help ^^

- Carl

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Another clue that they are different plants: the Epiphyllums have no spines. The red one will have tiny but robust spines in the aeroles.

• EpiGuy
    11 years ago

>Another clue that they are different plants: the Epiphyllums have no spines. The red one will have tiny but robust spines in the aeroles.

I didn't know that! is it the same for all species Epiphyllum? so the spines must come from intergeneric crossing? (X Disocactus, X Heliocereus, X Selenicereus, X Aporocactus etc.)

I do love tit bits like that =)

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Epiguy, Epiphyllum oxypetalum and its crosses don't seem to have spines, and neither do any of the other species I've seen. Disocactus is another genus.

I don't think many Rhipsalis have spines either, only the one called R. monocantha, which generally has more than one spine ('monocantha' NOT!). The rest have either no spines or they are small hairs.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Toni,

That's like apples and oranges - yes, they're both fruits, but they're not the same.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks...

Whatever happened, new blooms are growing in as Night Blooming Orchid Cactus..White and pink.
    Oh well, a fluke?

Jeff, apples and oranges, epis and phyllums.

Is it the apple or orange that took 18-yrs to show itself?

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Toni, except for one species that I am aware of, all Epiphyllums have white flowers that open at night. Disocactus have colored, day opening blooms. Both are epiphytes, only one is Epiphyllum.

You will also find that the Epiphyllums will bloom a large flush of flowers, then nothing (maybe one or 2) for about 8 weeks, then another massive output. For me this means the last ones open in Oct. Cool mornings mean the flowers look good until almost noon.

The Disocactus ackermannii seem to bloom once in the spring/early summer, and then only a few until next year.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Howdy. So, which is my plant? lol. Flowers open at night. I once took a late night picture, but pic looked nothing like the actual flower.

I always believed it to be Night Blooming Orchid Cactus.

My Epi blooms throughout summer. Sometimes as early as Feb, but buds/flowers are tiny. As time progresses, buds grow bigger.
    BTW, the newest flowers are pink and white, once again. I'd like to see the round, red blooms, but think it was a fluke of nature. :)

Also, yesterday,, while browsing through pics on paper, non-digital, you know, the old-fashioned types? lol
    I got the Epi 1994..it first flowered in 1997. So, it bloomed after 3-yrs, not 7. Sorry about that. Toni