Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

April bloomers here! :)

paul_
9 years ago

I know a couple folks posted some April flowers in the March thread, but figured it best to start April off with its own ......

One of the more interesting attributes of this cross is the flower color change. Unfortunately, having said that I must also say that mine is a very poor example. With mine, the flowers start off this color

{{gwi:83222}}

and then over the course of a few days to a week ripen to this color

{{gwi:83224}}

In the more dramatic individuals, the flowers are a deeper dusky red upon opening and wind up a brilliant sunny yellow after a week or so. On a large plant, therefore, it is possible to have flowers of different color all at the same time. As with a number of catts, temperature and light intensity can have a very noticeable impact on flower color.

This is a mini with the entire plant being about 6inches tall or less.

{{gwi:83226}}

{{gwi:83229}}

{{gwi:83231}}

This phal is quite good about holding its yellow color -- many yellows tend to fade to more of a cream color rather quickly

{{gwi:83233}}

One of my favorite minis .... and one you will likely never see in a BBS. The color is actually a bit darker than in the photo.

{{gwi:83235}}

And just to clarify ... compared to the "mini" phals you might find in a BBS, this one truly deserves the appellation:

{{gwi:83237}}

The plant is in a 2 inch pot and is well over 5yrs old (lost track of just when I first got it but know it has been a while).

Comments (41)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paul,
    Orchids are something I've all but given up on. But, maybe when there's more room one day, I'll try again. I have read that "mini" Phals you find in the store are stunted somehow with chemicals(?) to keep them small and they outgrow that over time. I would love to have a true mini (I didn't know there were "true" minis, I just thought the word mini was made up after hearing about the chemicals), they are so darn cute!

I have a couple plants I just purchased that are in bloom. One of which is being camera shy right now so I only have a picture of the other one in bloom.

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana:
    {{gwi:83239}}

Now for the plants that have started blooming after purchase:

Chlorophytum laxum 'Bichetii'' Has been blooming non-stop since about January/February:

Unknown African Violet (Optimara NOID):
    {{gwi:83242}}

African Violet (Optimara 'Manitoba'):
    {{gwi:83243}}

Thanks for looking,
    Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 18:43

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Okay, the other plant has decided to stop being camera shy. This is not really a "houseplant," but I'm growing my succulents indoors and this one cactus as I fear they will scorch outside.

Thanks for looking.
    Planto

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii (Plaid Cactus)

• Tuija
    9 years ago

My new English-Pelargoni. I like it very mutch.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:83137}}

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Paul...You know how I feel about orchids...So beautiful! Does that cross have a name? It's beautiful...

Planto...Marvelous...I love that flower...

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Fin, that's beautiful..

Mike

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

First the flowers.....

Standard 'double petal' African Violet

{{gwi:83244}}

Miniature African Violets
    {{gwi:83245}}

Gasteria Liliputana close up of flower spike:
    {{gwi:83246}}

Pelargonium variegated:

{{gwi:83249}}

I shot all with "new eye glasses" (no line bifocal) I also have a thick skin here if out of focus feel free to say something

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 18:20

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

nomen_nudum,
    Those are beautiful! I'm a sucker for purple, so I love your 'double' African Violet. Could you provide a less blurry picture of your variegated Pelargonium? I have a couple outside that I just purchased earlier this year and plan on growing them as houseplants this winter. I'm intrigued by a variegated variety. :)

The eye doctor keeps telling my Mother she needs bifocals, but she just has me read things when we're together it seems. :P

Planto

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Thanks Planto, making note to use bottom half of glasses when focusing.

{{gwi:83250}}

I hear you and understand completly, there is one born every minute too.
    {{gwi:83251}}

At request of planto:

{{gwi:83252}}

Anouther side

{{gwi:83253}}

Check out this small flower it blooms like clock work even inside during winter Go figure I have a full sun plant that doesn't even need sun.

{{gwi:83254}}
    Euphorbia Obesa uncertain to it's gender identity

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Nomen,
    Thanks for the pictures! I've never seen flowers or foliage like that on a Pelargonium before. I have a couple outdoors that are currently in bloom, I hope you don't mind me sharing. This is my first year growing Pelgargoniums, but I'm planning on growing them as perennials, so I'm going to bring them indoors this winter.

Ivy Pelargonium and Zonal Pelgargonium:
    {{gwi:83255}}

Closeup of Ivy Pelargonium ('Global Ruby Twist')
    {{gwi:83256}}

Planto

• paul_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the "Global Ruby Twist". Too bad they don't do well outside once the heat of summer sets in here.

Would need a clearer closer shot to be sure, Nomen, but it looks like your obesa might be a girl.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paul,
    Hmm, if you're in zone 5 and they don't do well in your summer, I'm afraid of our zone 8 summer. I might just have to move it once Summer hits. I hope it doesn't die, but if all else, I only paid $3 for it and it was a great plant while it lasted (never know until you try!).

Planto

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

Planto, you have wonderful pelargoniums. I hadn't seen yet the colouring your Global Ruby Twist has, very beautiful.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Close up:
    {{gwi:83257}}

{{gwi:83258}}
    Would crossing the two in both directions be worth a try ?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Lii-sama,
    Thank you! I never knew "Ivy Geraniums" existed until a month or so ago and just had to pick one up. The nursery I went to also had a red/white one (same flowers and leaves, just substitute the raspberry with red).

Planto

• paul_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto, many if not most of the ivy geraniums do not take high heat (temps in the mid to upper 80sF and higher) well. In this they differ greatly from zonal geraniums. They definitely do not handle high heat + full sun well. In your region, I would suggest making sure that they are shaded during the late morning through the afternoon once you start hitting your summer temps.

Also, be forewarned should you come across the Martha Washington geraniums (sometimes called Regal geraniums) that those prefer MUCH cooler temps than most geraniums (temps in the 60s-mid 70sF). Much hotter and they die.

Still hard to tell about your obesa, Numen. (So difficult trying to get photos of such little things without a macro lens.) I would still say most probably a female. If you haven't already, try posting it in the cacti forum.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paul,
    Thank you so much for the information. It has been difficult finding something online to tell me what I should do with respects to caring for it with our summer heat. I have read about the Martha Washington geraniums... I didn't know 'Regal' was a synonym though. Thank God I didn't pick one of those up a couple weeks ago, Lowes had some 'Regal Geraniums' for sale.

Planto

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Thanks for E.obesa info Paul female votes 7 male votes 4

Still in flower and new addition here (as of a couple weeks ago) a future foliage treat from Mrs. Cox

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I first showed this in Dec. or Jan. - still blooming, Kalanchoe blossfeldiana & wax Begonia with double flowers.

9 years ago

Haworthia.

9 years ago

Another Haworthia.

9 years ago

Caught the Callisia fragrans flowers open this morning. Smells so good!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

A lot of small blooms on the Euphorbias...but this overwhelmingly fragrant bloom on the Hoya pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' is a lot more striking. I've been snipping off flowers for about three weeks now :-)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Nomen,
    I love that Geranium's coloring.

Planto

• paul_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cryptanthus bivittatus
    I have a number of these in my large terrariums. They surprised me. Typically, IME, as far as one gets is this:

{{gwi:83259}}

{{gwi:83260}}

At which point the bud/sheaths would just brown out. I assumed that it was just one of those plants whose flowers are small and don't open all the way. However, for whatever reason, this go around things were different:

{{gwi:83261}}

{{gwi:83262}}

Underexposed in this shot -- it seemed to make the details a bit easier to see without the glare off the white.

{{gwi:83263}}

Didn't notice any scent, but I would have needed to climb into the tank to get close to the blooms. Blooms, as seems to be the norm with members of the bromeliad family, are short-lived. I think these lasted about 4 or 5 days.

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Who likes pansies,they are on the back porch so in a way they are houseplants,hehe

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i have over 20 african violets blooming their heads off!

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Complaint I have about small flowering Euphorbias is how the"noramal" hoya flowering seasons will elude me so I borrow the hoya fragrence from a friend.

Thanks for the eye candy from the Cryptanthus bivittatus it's absolutely amazing.

9 years ago

Sedum clavatum.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Purple,
    I know I typed up a post regarding your Callisia after you posted your photo, but apparently it got eaten. I see they finally behaved long enough for you to take a picture, thanks for sharing!

Planto

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Adromischus Marianiae 'Bryan Makin'

• Micki_t
    9 years ago

I had just posted this as a new topic, but think its better suited here!

Presenting my 50p Ikea reject Peperonia! It's hard to believe it was half dead last autumn....

• Micki_t
    9 years ago

My Buddha's hand citron (Citrus medica var. sarcodactylis) is opening its first bloom of the season! It is mildly fragrant, but I expect that to increase as they all open :)

Hopefully I'll be posting some fruit pictures later in the year!

• ashley05
    9 years ago

I think this is a Columnea. I got it from a clipping from my mother-in-law's plant. She jsut called it a "Goldfish Plant". It's the first time it bloomed for me:

{{gwi:46797}}

Also, this was taken last summer, but this Spathiphyllum is *still* blooming. It's bloomed for almost a year straight!

{{gwi:83266}}

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Paul,I just want to say how outstanding that cryptanthus in bloom was. I had NO idea they would look like that and had never even thought to look it up. Just...WOW!

Here's some aglaonema bloomage...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

From the other side of the clump.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i am relieved that i found a good spot for my anthurium - 1st for me. it produced 2 new leaves and 2 new 'flowers' (in my care since last december).

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

then last week i just had to grab this mini wonder - i think it's a tulip anthurium, NOID from costafarms. marbled too!
    3 flowers and 2 more on the way.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

OoO, nice grab!

Planto

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Dendrobium Loddigesii

{{gwi:83267}}

Ping 'Aphrodite'

{{gwi:83268}}

D. filiformis 'intermedia'

{{gwi:83269}}

• paul_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOVE the leaves on that Adromischus marianiae , Nomen! Can that one be propagated from a leaf?

Sweet looking flowers on your Columnea, Ashley.

That red Anthurium of yours is the ideal for an Anthurium, IMO, Petrushka. Don't care for most of the other colors and form variations I have seen over the years. (Though that marbled one of yours is definitely interesting.)

Nice loddigesii, Tom. Never been able to bloom one of those. Like your Drosera filiformis too. Been looking at getting one of those. Currently have adelae and binata myself.

A few additional bloomers:

This mini flowers profusely in "waves" throughout the year. Individual flowers are only about 2mm across which makes them a pain to get a good close-up without a macro lens or other magnifier.

{{gwi:83270}}

Love the flowers on this one. It can bloom sporadically through the year for me. Only one flower at this time which is unusual -- normally I get 3. Flowers are short-lived (about a week) which is normal for members of this genus and its alliance in general. Flower has a wingspan of about 5inches (12-13cm). The flowers are always pendant.

{{gwi:83271}}

And my ever blooming pot of pings -- P. moranensis and P. Aphrodite. (Not a very good photo, I'm afraid ...)

{{gwi:83272}}

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

oh, i love that paph!
    my biggest caladium produced a 7" spathe. its 8yr old and is grown strictly indoors.

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia