Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

New Epiphyllum 'Over The Top Pic'

teengardener1888
11 years ago

Just wanted to see if the plant is healthy enough. will also post on cactus forum

Comments (21)

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Did you buy this as an Epiphyllum? Or was it an Epicactus? The former is flat or round and has no spines at all in the notches (aeroles). The latter plant has tiny stout spines in the aeroles, can grow triangular or flat. Hybrids are usually spineless.

The plant looks healthy, make sure it gets some direct sun until summer. If kept in the house, it should be close to the window if you want bloom. Keep it warm and don't allow it to get completely dry for long periods of time in the warm months.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a Epiphyllum hybrid from logees. It was pricey and came small. slightly dissapointed

• auron22
    11 years ago

I posted a reply on the thread over on cacti/succulents. I wouldn't worry too much about size, It might take a year or two to develop a good root system (assuming it is a cutting?) but once it's all set it will take off.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It certanly has roots

• auron22
    11 years ago

Is it bound at all? I think it is recommended to keep it somewhat bound, but I couldn't wait and potted mine up 2 inches wider in terra cotta. Played around with 3 different mixed soils. Experimenting to see how well it does :) It's very fast draining. Mine was cheap though....it's no skin off my nose if they die. I'll update you on how it's doing if I spot something bad.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

These plants grow fast, and overpotting is rarely a problem when they get growing. In Albany you can put the plant out for the summer in a place shaded from the noonday sun. Keep it moist but never soggy. The new shoot you are growing this year will likely bloom next year, and you can expect several more stems this summer. Don't be shocked if the stub also blooms.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought it would take several years. it would be wonderful if it branched ou this summer. It looks like a head with a long waving hand saying HI. iT PROBALLY WILL HAVE ONLY A FEW FLOWERS. aLL WELL

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

It looks good, but I am concerned about the new growth at the bottom it looks so weak and narrow. Once the plant gets outside in the summer the top growth will get big, and snap of the thin growth. If it was me I would cut of the new growth and plant the top of the new growth. The large base cutting should grow new shoots. Get what i am saying, if not please let me know. Grant

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Grant : I'll bite What are you saying ?

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

Okay, if you plant a zinna seed, and it grows very leggy in the first couple of days, then it gets put under a strong light, the new growth gets stronger. Such as thicker stems, larger leaves, heather color. But that first couple of days growth wount be able to support the new healthy growth, so it flops over, and or ends up snaping the lower part of the plant. Hopes this clears up. Mrlike2u. Grant

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

If I understand you correctly what your saying is Zinnia grow off of tree branches and on sides of cliffs like the epic jungle cacti in the pic ?
    Question being from original are
    Is the plant healthy
    My response: Yes
    Is the cacti ready to go in a bigger pot
    Yes at six inches round or bigger

How do they propagate? Was going to wait until the question was asked and will continue to wait until asked
    Clear things up ? for muah ? no sorry but you surly didn't Fact is I cant wait to spread the news that I saw a leggy epic in a 1.5 inch pot from a tropical garden shop named Logees The owners will laugh me out of there shop Grant Maybe I'lll skip the part about Zinnas having the same cultural needs as the few epic cacti they have on hand all the time.
    Know what I'm saying ?

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont get grants idfea but im sure it will grow new stems out ogf those notches in the thick stems
    \

• alobo
    10 years ago

I had 10 different types of epis started from cuttings last summer. they all are sending out new tips. ONe of them has a couple of holes about half inch diameter on the old starter part of the plant, another is showing a brown rust like marking on the edge which I think is a disease of some kind or soil deficiency, the plant will eventually suffer, I have a 30 yr old one that is also showing this rusty marks,please e-mail me I dont want to loose any of the,the night blooming Cereus I have is looosing the ends of the leaves to a black rot or the leaves are just drying out

• alobo
    10 years ago

If anyone knows the solution to my problems in my last post, about the rust like spots on my new shoots on the epi cuttings email me so I can act fast before its out of control;
    alobo@hotmail.com

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wishi can help you. i wish your cuttings good health :-(

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

TG, it's a cutie! Not a plant I've had before.

I think Grant was using Zinnia as an example most would recognize. This could happen to a lot of plants, weak base trying to support massive new growth. I've seen various plants have this problem, from Sedum to Dracaena to Philo vines. I understood his point to be that as the tall part develops more mass, the connection between it and the stumpy part at the bottom may not be strong enough to remain upright, or snap.

Alobo, if you start a new discussion for your separate question, more people will see it. Sending good vibes to your plant too!

• auron22
    10 years ago

I thought I heard somewhere that it is normal in epiphyllums, I will provide a link that will shed some light. But the pictures provided look far smaller and weaker than the smaller growth TG's epi has. Don't let the aerial root part throw you off. I would ask about it in cacti/succulent forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small growth/aerial roots.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Alobo, hit your back button. At the very bottom of the page with all the topics listed, there is a place for you to start a new thread for your question to get the attention it deserves. Just for starters, do a search for "Orange rust". It is a persistent problem if the air circulation is not sufficient. Use a fan, just because the plant is in an open room doesn't give it good air circulation.

So far as the OPs questions about their plant, Epiphyllums and their kin often grow these long stems from other parts. The center, like just about all cacti, consists of tough woody fibers which is the plant's vascular system. The connection continues and is linked to the parent plant's woody vascular system. This means that if the new growth gets too long, rather than breaking off like a Zinna or Coleus branch, your pot will go on its side. If the pot doesn't overturn, sometimes the shoot will twist, but the plant will accommodate that too. In a minority of cases, the shoot will break and you get the opportunity to start a new plant.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im not concerned with the stability of the plant. I will repot it in a clay pot just in case. Im shure the plant will produce new stems in the notches of the fat one. Hopefully it will flower next year

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It wouldn't bother me either, TG, hoping for flowers for you too!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I personally LOVE these things. I mean...when they bloom it's like you have to ask "where the heck did ALL THAT come from?!!". :)