Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repot my ponytail palm?

Posted by Ascheid 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:45

Hello,

I have a ponytail palm that hasn't been repotted in at least 15 years, maybe more. It doesn't seem to be having any problems, but I worry that it isn't getting something it needs. I water it about once a month, and give it some houseplant food once every 3 or 4. Do they like to be repotted? I don't want to do anything to kill the plant, it's been around a while.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repot my ponytail palm?

Hello Ascheid,

Are roots growing out of drainage holes?
If not, I'd let it be.

Since you're watering once a month, and soil isn't drying faster than usual, its current container should be sufficient.

Sounds like you've done well with your PT..Toni

o

After 15 years in a pot, i'm sure it is gripping most, if not all the soil in the pot. In theory, there would be little to no mess taking it out of the pot and checking. In THEORY :) I do not think it would harm the plant. Ponytail palms are pretty forgiving i my experience, overwatering being the exception.....in my experience :( How tall is it? I'm very curious.

o

It's only about 3 feet tall, I think. I'll take a picture and measure it when I get home. It hasn't grown very much that I've noticed.

o

Ascheid...I'm very sorry. I thought you wrote your PT was in the pot 5-yrs!
Although, I have a couple plants, including a PT, potted in the same soil and containers, 10 or so years, I do not recommend doing the same.

Nutrients are long gone.

Auron, thanks for pointing out the correct number of years. Toni

o

If kept in the same pot for such a long time, growth will be slowed a lot. If you want it to grow faster/bigger you could increase pot size. Not by much though, i think the outer parts of the pot should only be 2-5 inches from the base of the palm? Can't remember, been too long since i've cared for a ponytail palm.
I honestly hate reading, so i end up doing the same sometimes :/ Wish i could just have something read to me.lol

o

Sorry it's been so long for a reply, life got busy recently. Here's the ponytail palm. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the roots yet. I think I'm going to repot it this weekend. Is the gritty mix a good choice for these?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here