Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Marginata Tricolor in Water - When do I attempt to plant?

Posted by crystal.lee BC, Canada (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 14:59

The top of the Marginata Tricolor at my work snapped off about 3 weeks ago. I brought it home, stripped the leaves from the bottom of the stalk, and placed it in a shot glass of water hoping it would root. And it has quite nicely so far! I have never had this type of plant before, nor have i ever tried to root a plant and am a little lost as to what the next steps should be. Frankly, I'm a little lost when it comes to all of my plants but i'm learning! Haha. After about 2 week in the water (no rooting hormone), it began to grow little knobby roots. Two days ago, I noticed that one of the roots had grown out, looking like a little claw. Now in just 2 days time, the root has grown about half an inch and another thick root is beginning to emerge out of the other side. I have tried to do some research online on when and how to plant but all i can come up with is "when there is a reasonable amount of roots". What is a reasonable amount? And what is the best way to go about planting the rooting top? I appreciate all of your help and advice in advance.

This post was edited by crystal.lee on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 15:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Marginata Tricolor in Water - When do I attempt to pl

Here is what the root looked like only 2 days ago!

o

I'd wait another week and then plant it in soil in 4" Pot.

o

I'd get it in there as quick as possible. Plants that make roots in water are used to pulling nutrients from water. Plants that are rooted in soil have the proper ability to draw nutrients from the soil. Something i learned from Al. Most roots that are grown in water may die or not absorb any nutrients from soil. I would put it in dirt right away. Mist the leaves and keep it out of direct light. once new growth is coming along nicely its usually a sign that the roots are growing very good. I'd probably use a 3 or 4 inch pot for this guy. Goodluck!

o
RE: Rooting What kind of Marginata Tricolor ??

What pls. is a Marginata tricolor? Aren't we missing the first name of the plant (its species maybe) like Crassula or Dracena?

Otherwise how do I know what plant is being discussed. Am GUESSING a Dracena from the pic (tho' I could be way off).

o

looks like Draceana Marginata Tricolor to me...

o

Just put the cutting in soil right away, it will work out nicely. Just keep the soil moist, but not soaking wet, and keep it out of the sunniest window. Good luck! ;)

o

That's so cool! I'm happy for you. I've never had any look rooting those at all, never mind in water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here