Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_lee_gw

Rooting Marginata Tricolor in Water - When do I attempt to plant?

crystal.lee
9 years ago

The top of the Marginata Tricolor at my work snapped off about 3 weeks ago. I brought it home, stripped the leaves from the bottom of the stalk, and placed it in a shot glass of water hoping it would root. And it has quite nicely so far! I have never had this type of plant before, nor have i ever tried to root a plant and am a little lost as to what the next steps should be. Frankly, I'm a little lost when it comes to all of my plants but i'm learning! Haha. After about 2 week in the water (no rooting hormone), it began to grow little knobby roots. Two days ago, I noticed that one of the roots had grown out, looking like a little claw. Now in just 2 days time, the root has grown about half an inch and another thick root is beginning to emerge out of the other side. I have tried to do some research online on when and how to plant but all i can come up with is "when there is a reasonable amount of roots". What is a reasonable amount? And what is the best way to go about planting the rooting top? I appreciate all of your help and advice in advance.

This post was edited by crystal.lee on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 15:05

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts