Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron with a problem

Posted by lme5573 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 15:38

I believe it is a velvet leaf philodendron, brought it home from the grocery store last week. I knew it had some sort of bug so I have isolated it from my other plants. I was sort of relaxed about it, but now I see a white spot showing on new growth, so I know it's going to be a problem.
I don't see any masses of white cottony stuff on the backs of the leaves, but some of the leaves have holes. What I do have is small white spots on the fronts of leaves.
Can you tell me what this is, and can I clean it up or should I just pitch it.
Thanks for any advice. I've got two more pictures to load, I hope someone can see enough to make a suggestion.
Thanks!
Lennie in Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron with a problem

The previous pix shows the plant from the top. It looks pretty good, but this picture shows some of the spots.

o

This picture shows the underside of the worst leaf - it has holes that you can peek through. I can show one more picture of the new leaf with a faint white spot if you need another look.
Thanks for looking!
Lennie

o

Mealie bug?

o

This one shows what's on the front.
How do I get rid of mealy bugs?
Q tip and rubbing alcohol?

thanks

o

First,do you see the bugs? If so then the q-tip method you describe would be one way,yes.

Still I'm not entirely sure what we're looking at here....

o

I don't see bugs, only damage. No cottony masses underneath the leaves, just small white spots. Maybe it's an early infestation?

o

Look into powdery mildew....may be the beginnings of an infection but I'm still not certain.

o

Mealies move around. If your plant had them, I think you'd see them. Your 'Micans' just looks like something's been taking some nibbles on the leaves, likely something that's no longer there. The leaves on this Philo are very sensitive and easily mechanically damaged. Unless you see new spots, I don't think it's any kind of insect damage, once you're ruled out spider mites. Philos aren't really known to be susceptible to any kind of critter infestations. Nothing about your plant looks like there's any kind of critters bugging it to me. My 'Micans' usually looks like that because it's always bumping into other plants, and I weave the little stems around a little trellis.

o

Sweet!!

Purp's here!

...She's really smart,Lennie....listen to her! :)

o

Purple, you are the best! Now I can relax and just enjoy the plant.

Thank you, thank you!
Lennie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here