Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Peace Lily got cold!

Posted by sewnjoy z5 IA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 15:39

I've had my Peace Lily for over 6 years....got so big I had to divide it a few years ago. Both plants were doing very well until I put them on the enclosed front porch where it was too cold for them. (about 40 degrees) I noticed the next morning they have both drooped so I brought them back indoors where it's a lot warmer. Will they retrun to normal again, or, have I killed them off??? I would hate to loose them, they have done so well over the years! Any suggestions???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Peace Lily got cold!

Time will tell. Let us know, in the next few days, how they do. I will tell you this, even if some of the leaves eventually yellow, it doesn't mean that the whole plant will die. Cut the yellowing leaves off and see if the plants grow more healthy foliage.

o

I have a peace Lilly that some one was going to trash.It was in her garage for a few weeks in the cold and that was about 2 months ago. So the temp was about 30○ then. Well it was all droopy, dry and looked like it should of been trashed. But I watered it a little and its great now. I cut off all the dead leaves. Good luck!

o

Well, my peace lilies are close to being back to normal! Thanks for your help & encouragement. I was really afraid that I had killed them by putting them on the cold porch. Glad they survived! They must be pretty tuff plants!!!!

o

Hi Rhizo....:)

Joy, frostbitten leaves are greyish/black.
40F is pushing it...It's a miracle the PL Cgh adopted from the garage didn't die at 30F.

Since both PL's were enclosed, (porch/garage) walls protected plants from freezing/cold wind chill.
If the soil had been wet, in all probability PL's would have developed root rot. Especially @ 30.

Toni

o

(TONI)

o

Rhizo, you've got mail x's 3

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here