Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long should I wait before I repot some newly purchased plants

Posted by deliveryboy10 Minnesota (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 15:44

I bought some 'flamingo' and peace lilies in 4" containers at Home Depot right after Easter and want to know if I should repot them immediately or should I wait and let them adjust to my home environment first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long should I wait before I repot some newly purchased pl

I usually repot a plant as soon as it comes home, Usually plants come in a high peat based soil which I really don't care for, it causes fungus gnats & dries to a brick if I forget to water every day. I can also check roots & take a good look at leaves & stems for diseases or bugs.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 17:35

It depends on whether or not they NEED repotting. I'm not being a smart aleck - there's no sense in creating problems by potting-up unnecessarily into a too-large container.

Most plants take potting-up easily in stride because it's less traumatic than a full repot. If they need it - go ahead & pot up. These plants won't benefit much from a period of acclimation to the new surroundings.

Al

o

If they're rootbound, by all means, go for it! If they aren't then you're welcome to change the soil and place in different, but same-sized pot. It just depends on what effort you have the time and desire for. Changing soil can help evict the possible pests. I like to water my plants before I repot/change soil and wet the new soil after the move. It kinda helps keep the roots in place and they're less brittle and sensitive. You don't have to do the pre-watering though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here