Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markparsons435

First Post - Introduction (several photos inside)

markparsons435
10 years ago

Hello everyone!

My name is Mark and I am newly divorced. My ex got custody of all my "children" (read plants haha) which included 6 different hoyas, which are my favorite: kerrii, carnosa f. compacta, archboldiana, kentiana varigated, retusa and wayetii - a Chinese Evergreen, Dracaena, Mother in Law's Tongue, Split Leaf Philodendron and my 2nd favorite the night blooming cereus .... although being single is refreshing, I am starting anew with all my plants.

A friend suggested your site so I can get to know some other plant loving people and get back in the swing of things.

I live in zone 6b.

I was able to walk away with 2 of my plants. A rubber tree plant and what I have always been told is a schefflera.

My new house is surrounded by woods and I have a large sun room. It has 6 very large windows and although it is called a sun room it doesn't get a LOT of sun due to the trees outside. However, I can't WAIT to get this room packed and make it my own tropical oasis.

I'm attaching pictures of the room to take suggestions of what to fill it with. Also, pictures of my rubber tree plant and the schefflera in case anyone has any tips of pointers for the care of these.

The rubber tree plant is actually 4 different plants in one container. I have had it about a year and thought about separating it out in to 4 different plants.

The schefflera I have also had about a year. When I first rescued it from a co-worker who was moving, it only had about 6 leaves on it. You can see how it has grown in the year but it is also bent and crooked.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading all about your plants!!

The front room
{{gwi:83503}}

The dining room (excuse all the mess on the table)
{{gwi:83504}}

Another view of the dining room
{{gwi:83505}}

The rubber tree plant
{{gwi:42941}}

The schefflera
{{gwi:83506}}

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Hey, Mark. Welcome to the GardenWeb! I hope you'll enjoy your time here. Looks like you got 'custody ' of the pets....yay!

• markparsons435
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much

It is odd she fought me over my plants but not the animals.

2 Maine Coon cats
    1 Mastiff
    1 Parrot

They are all mine!

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Welcome Mark
    That sun room looks like it will be perfect for a room full of plants. I'll bet you can grow anything there but the very highest light plants - and you can always add some electric for them.

Your "schefflera" is often called a dwarf schefflera, or arboricola. It is a bush, and that's why you see it sending limbs out all over the place. If you want it to have a more filled in appearance, you should be able to prune back those long bare limbs, and let them send out new shoots to fill up the middle. Why don't you try it first with 1 limb, and see how that goes. You should also be able to root the piece(s) you cut, and start new plants. Arbs are very vigorous little buggers.

• markparsons435
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer me about the schefflera - now at least I know what I can do with it to make it look better.

I'm looking forward to filling that room with a lot of plants - little by little I hope to fill it over the summer

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the Garden Web. Sorry to hear about your divorce. When I say that, I mean that I'm sorry you had to go through it. Those things are not easy. My divorce was 25 years ago. It's one of the roughest things I've ever had to go through. My ex wife also got some of my plants. She didn't really ask, she just took them.

Anyway, that's a nice looking rubber plant! Personally I would leave it in the same container and just increased the size as the plant grows. It will be a magnificent specimen if you do. Especially in the large room you have.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Mark, awesome plants! Sounds like a really tough loss! The wife, too. Those are awesome windows for starting over. Hope you're at peace now.

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

Wow, nice rooms! Especially the one with all those large windows! Love that rug, too. :)

Anyway, what about a ficus benjamina - maybe a variegated variety, for a tree type plant? Or some dracaenas - I like the warneckii.
    {{gwi:83507}}

Or maybe a philodendron bipinnatifidum - good for that tropical feeling. :)
    {{gwi:83508}}

I would also just cut back those long, bare branches on the arboricola and start a new plant with them or plant them back in the original pot. It will get fuller and balance itself out.

That rubber plant is beautiful! I would cut off a branch, two or three (like that one leaning outward) and start a new plant. Or you can separate them if you want.

I think ANY plant would do well in that room. Good luck! Don't forget to post pics!

Oh, what kind of parrot do you have? I have a Blue Crowned Conure.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Hi, the plants she left you are gorgeous, Buying new plants can be rather inexpensive and enjoyable

• auron22
    10 years ago

Wonderful room! So much potential.
    I'm more of a flower person, so immediately what is coming to mind is orchids, bromeliads and a medinilla magnifica. All have super long lasting blooms (especially the bromeliads and the MM). I bought a M. magnifica a few weeks ago and is an absolute joy so far. Supposed to be in bloom for 3-5 months. Peace lily are easy, beautiful and one of the recommended plants from the NASA air cleaning plants study. So many more plants in my brain, that room is going to look great :)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler