Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my calla lily going to be okay?

Posted by Ashleylovesgreen none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 16:03

My boyfriend gave me this calla lily in September. It had beautiful orange flowers. When the flowers died I decided to save the plant because it was still green and alive. Is it past it's saving point? I know it probably needs more light, I live in Ohio and until it gets warmer it needs to stay inside, I put it in the sunniest spot possible but we haven't had many sunny days yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my calla lily going to be okay?

It might do better if you take off the decorative foil. Has that been on it this whole time? If so, that could certainly contribute to drainage problems.

o

Yes, take the foil off so that it doesn't sit in water. If the soil is constantly wet it can cause rot.

o

Also definitely needs better light. It won't bloom again unless it gets a rest. For this to happen, quit watering it. (Shoulda happened last fall.) The leaves will die. Then after a couple of weeks, replant it in some new damp soil and wait a bit before watering it. You should see new growth. The corm should be planted close to the surface of the pot. Set it out where it will get at least a few hours of full sun and about 1/2 day of light shade. They come from a region where there is a great amount of water part of the year and almost none the rest of the time.

o

I was going to remark that these die in the winter and come back in the Spring (at least here they do). My MIL has some planted in her garden that come back every year after a winter's rest.

Planto

o

Thank you for everyone's help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here