Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

Mimosa Pudica - touch me not - sensitive plant (pic)

frank325
15 years ago

Anyone grown this before? I sowed 9 seeds one week ago as I had read that germination rates weren't fantastic. Well, after 4 days I saw green in two cups. Now there are 5. I put more than one per container thinking I wouldn't get this many, but now some have 2 sprouts. Will this make things difficult for when they need to move to a larger pot? I imagine I should not touch them at this point and leave them be?

{{gwi:83635}}

Comments (25)

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Frank,

Mimosa pudica is really fun to grow. Don't worry about growing more than one per pot. I usually put 3 or 4 per pot when I grow them. They do just fine.

Larry

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

One hint: do *not* let them dry out at any given point because they're not forgiving plants especially when they're seedlings. I am about to try for my third time, but this time it's for my kids so I can't fail again. The seedlings look great! They'll probably grow well together even though you have two to a pot. If you don't feel confident you can carefully separate them when you transplant.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Frank, yes, let them be..they're still without true leaves.
    Another hint. If you place outdoors in summer, which Mimosa enjoy, set up high. Rabbits love this plant.
    I once sowed seed, by summer, transplanted into an 8" pot. The plant was so happy, outside..that is until Bugs Bunny came by and ate it up..I saw nibbles before, which should have alerted me something was at it..I assumed insects..
    Some daring rabbit/s came by, knocked the entire pot over, and ate it down to the soil. lol..
    But for now, don't repot..keep in bright light. Toni

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! Right now they are under lights, but I wasn't sure how close I should put them to the 2 40 watt tubes I have. They're probably about 8-9" away... too far?

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Frank,

Hort is right. Mimosa pudica is very unforgiving to being dried out. I wick water mine for that reason.

Larry

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Nine inches is probably ok until you get a couple of sets of leaves. I would try to get them accustomed to full sun as soon as possible before they start to run.

Larry

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

Larry,

What kind of medium would be best for me to attempt Mimosa Pudica again? I am considering a seedling mix with perlite added.

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Larry, would moving them closer be beneficial then?

Hort, just as an FYI, in my pic above I'm using a mix of perlite and coarse vermiculite.

• amccour
    15 years ago

I heard they need the soil innoculated with some kind of, uh, nitrogen fixing bacteria if you want any sort of long term vitality.

Would this also be a requirement for Delonix regia, I'm wondering?

• hort_lvr_4life
    14 years ago

Or you could use urea free fertilizer I think. Then, the N won't need fixing.

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hi,

Yes, a usea free fertilizer is good enough.

For wicking I would use the same medium that I wick my violets in. 1:1:1 of sphagnum(not peat moss!), vermiculite and perlite.

Larry

• paul_
    14 years ago

Been keeping my eyes open for seeds at the BBS but haven't seen any in a while. Don't feel like paying much for the seeds. Used to have this one in my classroom.

Frank, when I did have them, I always had several in a pot -- made for a fuller looking plant. They really don't get all that bushy -- at least not IME. As hort mentioned, they do not take to 'droughts' well, so try to keep them lightly moist.

Seeds can remain dormant and viable for years, so don't be surprised if somewhere down the line you see new sprouts in your pots even after the first sprouts have gotten 'large'/

• tessa2007
    14 years ago

I planted 4-5 seeds each in 6 jiffy pellets 1.5 weeks ago and have got close to 100% germination rate, so am now wondering what to do w/ all of them. I do agree with Paul - the seeds do sprout at different times. I got some sprouting within 3 days, and some sprouting 4-5 days after that. I'd give it some time (you might have already seen the rest of the sprouts by now). Good luck!

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Tessa,

If you would like to do nothing, that's ok. Four or five plants in one pot will look nice, especially when the plants get a little bigger. One Mimosa pudica in one pot doesn't look that good as the plant gets larger.

Larry

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey all, thought I'd post an update.

My mimosa's were doing pretty well, but then got to a point in the summer where they just didn't look too hot. Some leaves were yellowing, but they're still going, and today just bloomed. It hasn't grown very tall up to this point... maybe 4-5" or so. There are 4 plants in one pot.

{{gwi:83636}}

• paul_
    14 years ago

That's about it for the height, Frank, as I recall. It has more of a mat-forming growth pattern.

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the branches do grow out quite a bit. It's unfortunate these unique blooms only last for a day!

• urmymom
    14 years ago

Do these produce seeds. If so how and when do I get them

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No idea -- i bought my seeds online for just a couple bucks.

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Been enjoying this thread! *sigh* One of these days I'll have a job to be able to buy plants again (as if 20+ orchids, Asp. plumosus, Ming aralias, Dizygotheca, stephanotis, plus assorted sux simply aren't enough!) Mimosa is on the short list of plants to be acquired when the time comes :(

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine is starting to look, well, not so good. I don't know if they tend to go downhill after blooming, or if that's just a coincidence, but it's looking pretty raggedy. It was an interesting plant to grow merely for the "sensitivity"... that's about it.

• tropichris
    14 years ago

I do not 'tickle' mine. I just let them be as is. Touching them drasitcally reduces their life span. I grow mine in ordinary potting soil, outside in the summer, in morning sun but shaded during the rest of the day. The only problem is that the wind frequently closes the leaves, I may put a 'tent' up around it so it doesnt close so frequently.

• flowerfairygarden
    13 years ago

Hi, I just got my first mimosa plant as a gift and I didn't know anything about taking care of mimosas. Thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I think you saved my plant's life!

Leila

• Skippo14_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I bought my sensitive plants 2 days ago. When I set them by the window they get some sunlight, but I'm worried they aren't getting enough. Their leaves have small yellow spots and some small leaves are dying. I put them outside and they looked fine. But, I don't want to always carry the pot outside for direct sunlight. Would they be ok just in the house? Is the yellowing of the leaves just temporary?

• Lindsay Urbaitis
    6 years ago

Hello all! I am aware that this is an older thread but I still like to throw in my two cents when I have a chance. I love trying to grow and cultivate new plants, this spring one of the plants I attempted to grow started from an old packet of seeds I had simply named sensitive plants. I am not sure how many seats I actually started with but I soak them overnight in warm water in very early spring then I put them into clear Tupperware in a sunny windowsill. I now have five pretty darn good looking plants. The only thing I wanted to add to this thread was what I used for potting soil...

The mix...sorry no ratios

succulent potting soil

seedling potting soil

smashed up all of the old sea shells I had laying around

a small amount of fresh coffe grounds from my morning coffee

Took The burnt logs out of my fire pit none of which were pine, I then smashed bits of burnt log off with a hammer and crushed it up into a fine powder and added it to the rest of my soil mixture!

I do have one QUESTION. My plants have leaves the color is great but it is now September and I started growing them indoors far before spring even started. They lived outside almost all summer and seemed to do great. The only peculiar thing is, they are only about 1 inch to 2 inches tall! Does anyone know why that would be? Also any comments on my DIY potting soil mixture would be greatly appreciated. I have had great luck with using it to pot all of my of my plants...some required tweaking