Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help to ID this plant

Posted by Auron22 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 16:17

My dads fiance prevented her work from throwing this plant out and she fell in love with it so kept it in a water bottle filled with water over winter at her office and finally brought it home today. I assume it's been in there for 6 months. She says the flowers are hot pink, i tried researching it but i can barely find where to start. She wants to plant it outside, but i'd hate to see it survive so long in bad conditions just to die. Lemme see if i can post an image, i'm new to posting on these forums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown plant photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help to ID this plant

Wax begonia would be my vote. A perennial, but I don't know if it's hardy in zone 6.

o

I vote Begonia too - it can go outside, but if it goes into a pot, it can come inside (or into the garage) when it gets cold. The plant will last a long time this way; it will also work for a houseplant.

GB

o

It's definately a Begonia, but don't think it's a standard Wax, the type sold at garden centers in spring. Used as edging or accent plants.

On the other hand it could be a new species.

To me it looks like a non-hardy, under z8, but I could be wrong.

Auron, if you get a chancee, go to accentsforhomeandgarden, click on Online Catalog, then click on Begonias.
7 pages of Begonias.

Yours looks like a Cane. Toni

o

Thank you both, i'll research begonias right away. From what little i know about them though is that very few to none survive in my zone as a perennial. I know some people that plant them as annuals. Gonna have to break the bad news to her.

o

As was said, many begonias are very happy being grown as a permanent house plant. Though it would certainly benefit by being replanted into some good potting mix!

o

Totally agree, rhizo. Whether it's cane or wax. I just assumed it was a bedding annual wax type since it was being thrown out about 6 mos ago and continues to flower in the bottle of water. My cane quit blooming while inside but I don't have a lot of experience with either. In either case, the news is good - that she has a good *blooming* house plant if not a perennial.

The wax begonia I brought inside this past winter has been blooming non-stop since my son gave it to me on Mother's day last year. Hat off to the teacher who chose them to send home from school!

o

I looked at that online catalog, so many begonias! I also think it resembles the cane begonia the most. I hope it is, from this other website i'm reading, some cane begonias can become quite large and have long, if not ever blooming, blooming seasons. Exciting :)Thanks again everyone for helping me ID the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here