Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluedaisy52

Need Advice About Two Houseplants

bluedaisy52
11 years ago

I have an Ivy plant that was healthy when I first bought it and then recently it started losing its leaves from the bottom up. (see first photo) What is happening with this plant?

{{gwi:83779}}

Also I have a 3 year old house plant (don't know what it is) that was a nice green and lately it has been losing its green color and some leaves seem to be faded. (see second photo) How can I correct this?

{{gwi:83780}}

Both plants have been watered regularly and fertilized and near a window but not in direct sunlight. All my other various plants are healthy...it is just these two that seem to have developed some issues.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Blue Daisy. Your Ivy and Palm had or possibly still have spider mites.

Ivy is difficult keeping indoors..artificial heat and dry air invite mites.
    Palms aren't as difficult as ivy, but they too are notorius attracting mites.

Check for webs. If you don't see any, get a white sheet of paper, place under foliage, tap leaves in different areas, then check paper.
    If your plants have mites, you'll see them on the paper. Mites are very very tiny, so you may need a magnifying glass.

Sorry... Toni

• bluedaisy52
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Toni....thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Well....I guess I will have to get to town and find something to deal with the Mites. I have never had them before!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Blue, do a little research to learn about spider mites.....I agree with toni that they might be part of the problem. You might find out that you don't need to go to town for a pesticide.

You also need to get the ivy out of its foil hat and let it drain properly.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

...the heater's not on, right? Both plants might be happier with more light at such a high latitude as where you must be, to be in Z4.

The attached saucer on the palm could be causing the same malady as the foil on the ivy, standing water at the bottom of the pot. Do the plants get dry at all between waterings?

Have you ever repotted the palm? I don't know if ivy likes to be repotted, never had one live long enough inside.

• bluedaisy52
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo.....I did cut some holes in the foil hat but will remove it as I am sure it will be better for the plant in the long run.

Purpleinopp....Thanks for the welcome! I just set the plant on the heater only for taking the pic. :-) I am planning on repotting the palm to give it more room to grow--if it survives. I usually let the plants get almost dry before watering again. Which is hard for me because I am a confessed 'overwaterer'.

I did find spider mites on the undersides of both plants using a magnifying glass so Toni was right on the money! Not to say that there are not other issues as well...LOL

Thanks again for the great help....you guys are good...and quick too!

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

It seems like this plant is doomed to catch the bugs in all but the most humid air. It is generally best to simply not grow this plant indoors, unless you want to spray it with a insecticide weekly. It might be best to discard the plant, as they spread very quickly