Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When will my gloxinia bloom?

Posted by GloxiniaLover Zone 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 17:00

I am curious as to when my gloxinia will bloom? I dont know how old it is but I got it fall of 2011. It was dormant for about 3-4 months then just came up on its own so i started watering it. Now has 4 pairs of leaves, while last fall it bloomed with 2 pairs. When do you think it will bloom? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When will my gloxinia bloom?

Hi. Are you talking about fuzzy-leaf Florist Gloxina, 'large leaves?'

The more light, there's a better chance buds will form.

Long ago, I had a Glox that started blooming in June.

Once more leaves and plant grows compact, try forcing by withholding water and fertilizer 2-3-wks. Afterwards, especially once more leaves grow, give your Glox a hearty drink, and place in a sunny area. Toni

I prefer botom-watering Gloxinas. Less chance of rot. It's a matter of choice though. Toni

o

Yes thank you! Im not very familiar with gloxinias and only know the basic care, and not any of the different types. I have a grow light which it could certainly go under.

o

The Florist Gloxina I mean...leaves are fuzzy, large..7-9" long. Round tips.

No sun, only a grow-light?
If you decide to keep your Glox under a grow-light w/o natural sun, Glox should be 4-6" under bulb. Since Gro-lights don't produce heat, or much, it won't burn leaves, and needs all the light it can get. Light should stay on 8-10 hours per day. Good luck, Toni

o

i have sun but im not sure if its enough

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here