Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with my Calathea

Posted by Mace63 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 17:01

Hello. I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I got this calathea two weeks ago, and it was fine until three days ago when the leaves started curling. Before I begin with questions; from the pictures I included, I'd like to know what type of calathea this is. I've been looking around internet but can't figure it out.

As for my questions, the obvious one is why do leaves start curling like this? Lack of humidity? Too much watering? Too little watering?

I'd like to know how much and how often do I need to water my calathea. Also, how many times do I need to mist it? I do it with distilled water (both watering the soil and misting), is that okay?

Maybe a silly question, but is lamp light (artificial light) bad for the plant?

You can't see it in this picture, but the plant has one yellow leaf near the bottom. I'd also like to bring to attention the discolored stalk (not sure if this is the proper term) on the top leading to the leaves themselves (the part that seems to have curled the leaves).

I've been reading the posts here about this plant but I'm just lost and would like to get help with this calathea in particular.

I'm grateful to anyone who responds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with my Calathea

I just checked some pix for ya, try Calathea roseopicta. Do you know how to isolate the search to Images? That's how I found it; don't know about the care though, sorry.

Nice looking plant, hope you figure it out.

o

If Calatheas have light too strong, or too little water they tend to curl in a 'tubular' way rather than nodding like yours are. Although they should never dry out, neither should they be in soggy, poorly drained soil. You need to check that the pot has good drainage and that the soil isn't wet/soggy.

o

Thank you for replies. I came across Calathea roseopicta, but because it still looks a bit different I wasn't sure if that was it.

The soil gets to be dry eventually. It's wet only if I've watered it recently. I watered it yesterday and today it's still wet, though. The pot and the soil are the original ones it came in, and it was fine in it for a while.

Anyone has any ideas what I should try doing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here