Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to best care for palm

Posted by roksee 9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:12

hello... I just brought this home from Home Depot and I am so in love with it. But I've never had a Phoenix roebelenii?...before. And I'm pretty worried that I will not know how to best care for it.... any info would be greatly appreciated.... here are some pics:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to best care for palm

more pics

o

• Posted by roksee 9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:24

pic.

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:28

pic

o

Its a beauty, I'm thinking you have a cat and if I'm right you'll need to get it off the floor because the cat will be eating it in no time. I dont know why but cats love to eat palms. Great idea to use the chicken wire to keep out the kitty..... Others will give you great advice on how to care for it.

o

Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 1:04

thank you christine.... I do have two cats Issues and Foo
So I do hope others will give me lots of good advise as to how to KEEP it looking like this... :)

o
advise from tapla, please.. :}

Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 12:05

this is so beautiful now that its new...I REALLY want to learn how to keep it this way.....

o

Since you've had no added advice here why dont you post this over on the palms forum.Good Luck Christine

o

Also, since it's already posted in 2 different places for Al to see (maybe he's busy & not available right now), you might also try doing some searches on your own.

Search for "Palms, care & culture" & you can do lots of reading in the meantime.

Didn't know there's a Palm Forum, that's a great idea too.

o

I'm familiar with this palm but only as an outdoor, garden planted palm.

Yours looks like it's been field dug and chunked into a too small container. I can't help but think that it was intended to be planted outside.

o

Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 0:09

Ok... good advise all around....I don't really know how to move a post (to palms) but I'll research it.
And I have done some research on my own and have some solid feedback.... I just wanted his <: )
I am so grateful for you all, though, for trying to help. I'm giving some thought to what you are saying rhizo. Along with the search advise
Roksee

o

Roksee, you won't be moving your post to another forum, simply go to the Palm Forum and post your pictures and concerns there, too.

I'll be curious to see what others in that forum have to say. One thing for certain.....a palm can't develop a trunk of that dimension by being grown in a small container. :-)

I've been a participant in these forums for many years and can't remember another posting about this particular palm being grown as a houseplant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here