Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering murraya koenigii

Posted by seattlelisa WA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 17:14

Hi there,

I am looking for help! Last year, I bought a murraya koenigii in the summer, and it did very well. Then winter came. I know it can't stay out all winter. It's tropical, and this is Seattle. I put it in a sunny window -- but this IS Seattle, so not so sunny in winter. We don't heat our house when we are sleeping, and the temps regularly get down to 50, and occasionally lower. Now that Spring has rolled around, my murraya koenigii looks like two green sticks. I haven't tossed it, because I'm still hoping.

However, I have ordered a new one, which will be here in May. I want to grow this into a little tree, so that I'll have curry leaf to cook with. Does anyone have an idea what I can to help overwinter my plant?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering murraya koenigii

Lisa. I don't have M. Koenigii, but I do have M. Paniculata.
Murraya's are related to Citrus, in the Rutaceae family.

Since the trunk is green, your plant is alive, so don't toss it.

A south or west window is best.
If you can add artificial light, it'll help.

Soil should be well-draining, and a little on the acidic side.

Let soil dry in winter...it should look crumbly, not to the point it cracks. Especially since your house gets so cold..
How do you sleep? I'd be freezing. lol.
50F is chilly, but it won't kill your tree..the lower the temps, there's more chance of leaf drop. That's another reason it's important soil doesn't stay constantly wet.

No need to fertilize during winter. Once your plant sends out new growth, give half-strength dossage. Mine gets Citrus Fertilizer. If you can't locate a Citrus type, a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10, etc, is sufficient.

During the day, spray leaves, and if possible, shower in sink or tub, once a week.

How tall is your plant/tree?
They're neither slow nor fast growers. With a little work, you'll have a lovely plant..Flowers are extremely fragrant, and can flower throughout the year. But they're mostly summer bloomers.

Here's a pic of my Murraya..It was purchased 1999 at Osco, lol.

murraya

murraya1

If possible, set your Murraya outdoors in summer. Good luck, and don't give up. Toni

o
RE: overwintering murraya koenigii

• Posted by izhar Karachi Pakistan (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 4:07

I have two small trees of Curry leaf tree in ground. We had 2 months with night temperatures below 50 F, the plants became dormant, shed their leaves but sprouted back very nicely now and are blooming as well. I think yours will be showing some life in near future.

Izhar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here