Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can somebody identify this please

Posted by rikyrik none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 17:21

Hi I bout this from a diy place awhile ago never seen 1 before or since and want to look for 1 or 2 more.
When I first got it it was very bare and skinny, it stayed like that for about a year then I moved it to my office and its thrived in there, is this what they usualy look like or does this look a particularly fine specimin?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can somebody identify this please

Schefflera :)

o

Hi asleep in the garden
Thanks

o

Hi asleep in the garden
Thanks

o

Anytime :)

o

I think it is more specifically Scleffera arbolicola

o

I debated whether or not to include that part of the info as well but kinda figured that the info provided would suffice. :)

o

A lot of Schefflera look fairly similar.so it can be a bit difficult to tell from a photo. I have S. actinophylla, S. bractescens and S. arboricola. Apart from arboricola being a bit of a midget they do look very similar.

They will get a bit spindly if kept in low light. If you want it as a small plant (indoor) it's better to get the aboricola, some of the others will grow into a small to medium tree.

o

Thanks all

o

Riky, that's nor S. arboricola but the much larger cousin Brassaia actinophylla (or Schefflera actinophylla) . This one has lost some popularity in the market place, partly because of how much space they can take up in the home or office. This plant is very susceptible to small scale insects, too.

The smaller and much more popular S. arboricola has smaller glossy foliage, is usually a full, robust plant....often used on a table or plant stand and not the floor. It's a pretty pest free plant, as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here