Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! I think I overwatered my jade plant :( (Pics)

Posted by maryjade none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 17:44

I'm not very experienced, and I'm pretty sure my jade has gotten too much water and is now dying. About five days ago, it was sunny outside finally so I thought I would put my plant outside to get some sun (which was probably much needed). It started raining eventually, but I hadn't watered it in a while so I left it outside to get some water. Maybe too much water... since, the leaves are turning slightly brown and look kind of water-logged, and are falling off. The leaves towards the bottom of the stem still look okay.

So did I overwater and is there anything I can do to salvage the plant? It was bought as a hanging plant and usually hangs in a window in my bathroom. (south exposure)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! I think I overwatered my jade plant :( (Pics)

Another Picture of the whole plant. Thank you for your help!

o

How long was it in the direct sun? Has it been outside at all this season? Because it looks like sunscald to me.

o

That's exactly what I thought!

It looks like you might of introduced the sun to early to it and it burnt. It will make a full recovery after some leaf loss.

Hello Rhizo:-)

Mike

o

Incidentally, that is NOT a jade. Senecio jacobsenii, I believe. Not a Crassula.

Christopher.

o

Oh, yeah....there IS that. LOL! I was so mesmerized by those poor burned leaves that I overlooked that, Christopher.

Hi, Mike!

o

I didn't think of that! It was outside for several hours of sun after being indoors with indirect sunlight all winter. It's not very warm here, and I understood that it's very hard to give this kind of plant too much sun, but I'm always learning. I'm happy to hear that it should recover though! It doesn't look any worse today.

When I squeeze the leaves that have fallen off, water comes out of them onto my finger and thumb, thats why I thought it might be waterlogged...

Thanks for letting me know that Christopher! I will look up the Senecio jacobsenii

o

Plants that have been grown inside need to be slowly acclimated to the direct sun

o

Thank you for your help. I'm learning a lot just by reading this forum! Now I feel bad for my poor senecio jacobsenii.. I think I'm going to have to trim it back and try again.

o

Don't forget to root those cuttings! :)

o

Mary, that's a good idea. Trim off the parts that have been burned, even it all out, and your plant will recover.

o

And even though burned,the cut off pieces may still be viable...it's certainly worth a shot to try rooting them.

.....Just saying! :)

o

I took some stem cuttings and I'm also saving some leaves to see if they will root. These have been sitting for about three days now, but I'm not sure when they are calloused-over enough.. do you think these are ready to put in some soil? Or not yet..

o

Looks good to me! :)

o

Remove the bottom few leaves of each cutting so that you can insert the stems without having any of the leaves touch the soil...or another plant. I've never waited for a succulent cutting to callus over...so get them into a coarse medium pronto. Water them well initially.

o

I agree that is senecio. I am puzzled by how diverse the genus is. From thirsty cineraria to drought tolerant bead plant

o

Indeed Senecio may be diverse, but if you really want diversity, check out the Euphorbia.

Christopher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here