Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jungle Drum

Posted by irishmus HI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 17:59

I had the plant outside in full sun then read it likes shade. Moved it inside but I read it doesn't like AC.. Everywhere I put it makes the leaves turn black. So now I started watering it more and have it outside in the shade. Leaves are still turning black, maybe I watered it to much. Have you any suggestions Thanx and Aloha JOHN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jungle Drum

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 21:26

Bright light but not direct sun. A fast-draining soil you can keep moist but not wet/soggy. I'd fertilize every 2 weeks with a half dose of MG 12-4-8 or (better) Foliage-Pro 9-3-6.

The odds favor the probability that you over-nurtured/over-watered. You didn't mention if you fertilized or otherwise applied anything other than water to the plant, which could also be a consideration if 'yes'.

Al

o

Well I have the plant on my Lanai in the shade but it gets bright light. I cut back on the watering, but it still looks bad a lot of the old leaves are getting yellow. The new shoot still looks ok but hasn't opened yet. Aloha

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 23:18

Where plants are concerned, damaged tissues don't 'heal' or repair themselves, and speed of recovery is measured in plant time instead of people time. It's only been a few days since you posted, and it could take a year of perfect conditions for the evidence of the issues causing the symptoms you described to disappear, unless you know how to take control & make them go away by pruning & pinching appropriately.

The best suggestion I could make is to make sure you have the plant in an appropriate soil, which will significantly increase your margin for error in the watering/fertilizing department. If you're willing to show some diligence in reading and gaining an understanding of a couple of concepts, I can pretty much promise you that you can eliminate the sort of issues you're describing from the list of potential problems that could occur, along with a few others.

The link below goes into detail about the relationship between water retention and container soils. It's the most important concept to understand, relative to tending plants in containers. If you gain an understanding of what's being said, you'll undoubtedly improve your ability to bring along healthy plants consistently.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about container soils

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here