Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Interested in stapelia

seaecho1
14 years ago

Hi- I feel I'm ready to try a stapelia, and think I might have seen some in my local Lowe's and HD, but am unclear on how to tell the difference between another type of euphorbia and a stapelia. Are they ever seen at box stores? The ones without spines all look so similar to me. Also, if you could post pics that would be great! I am looking for a stapelia that will stay on the small side. A variegata or a scitula seem like they might work. Thanks!

Randi

Comments (14)

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Hi But no, sorry, let's try the other way around.

If you do a search for 'Stapeliads', then isolate the results to Images, you'll see lots of Stapeliad pictures.

• brodyjames_gw
    14 years ago

Hey Randi!

I picked one up at a local nursery in Phoenix when I was visiting back in late February/early March and then found two pots of them at a garden store in Wisconsin when I came home, so they ARE out there. It is my belief that if you buy them from most big box stores (or garden store in my case), you won't really know what you're getting until it blooms because the plants are usually only labeled as stapelia. I've found a few online nurseries that have identified varieties that you can choose from for what I consider reasonable prices. Check out bobsmoleys.com...he has some for $4!
    In my very limited experience, stapelias feel a little "velvety" smooth rather than "slick" smooth. Hope this helps!

Nancy

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/BrodyJames/DSC06913.jpg
    Arizona stapelia

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/BrodyJames/DSC06909.jpg
    Wisconsin stapelia

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/BrodyJames/DSC06910.jpg
    Wisconsin stapelia. Hoping this one is gigantea, but I'll be happy with whatever it is!

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Pirate Girl and Nancy! At this point I'd be happy to just find a stapelia of ANY kind! I've been studying all the succulent at Lowe's and HD, and no luck! I'll visit Bob Smoley's site, but didn't I hear from this site at one time that he's very slow and/or very cranky? LOL

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Airid lands has them too..

Aridlands.com

JoJo

• karyn1
    14 years ago

They are very easy to grow and root but you might not want them blooming inside. Some varieties stink to high heaven. My Stapelia gigantea is in the greenhouse and the minute it opens attracts flies that lay eggs in the bloom. The flower is really cool looking but within a short time is crawling with maggots!

{{gwi:84132}}

I have several others whose blooms are much smaller and not so stinky.

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, I'm looking for a type that has less stinky blooms. Thanks for mentioning that aspect of owning one of these plants. Thanks, JoJo--I'm also checking out Arid Lands. My interest has now shifted to huernias. I have found several on ebay, and am researching them, but I noticed many are shipped bareroot. I've always been led to believe that bareroot shipping is more stressful to plants than leaving them in the pot. Does this also relate to huernias?

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I've received both stapelias and huernias bareroot or unrooted and have never had a problem.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

There is no problem whatsoever (and I speak from hundreds of experiences) with shipping bareroot, providing the plants are appropriately packaged and the time of the year is clement. Succulent asclepiads can be particularly sensitive to cold temps, so it's best to have them sent/send them in the spring/summer.

I would suggest using a nursery, rather than Ebay, for your plants. A place like Miles2Go or Arid Lands are nurseries that you won't be disappointed in, and (at least in Miles' case, IMO) the plants' prices are extremely reasonable and you get what you pay for.

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! Got all the answers I need. Going to go check out Miles2Go. Ordered from them years ago, but had forgotten about them.

• paul_
    13 years ago

One of the advantages to Huernia, is not only their smaller size, but some have no scent at all. My Huernia zebrina is one such. Here's a couple pics:

Right after the bloom "popped"

{{gwi:84133}}

A fully open bloom -- flowers are about the size of the old 1/2 dollars

{{gwi:84134}}

If you do have trouble finding any, let me know. I have some divisions of this one available.

Happy growing!

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Neat! Can I ask... where do the blooms come from? Do they bloom from the ends, or from off to the side? I received an unspcified huernia in a trade, and it has decided to like it here. But I know very little about them. This particular one is supposed to have red blooms.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Neat! Can I ask... where do the blooms come from? Do they bloom from the ends, or from off to the side? I received an unspcified huernia in a trade, and it has decided to like it here. But I know very little about them. This particular one is supposed to have red blooms.

• windstorm86
    13 years ago

I have this little succulent and had no idea what was until it bloomed! It is a little stapelia and it has the prettiest little star-shaped purple flower about an inch in diameter. it flowers from the base of the stem, about 3 inches long but you really have to look to see them. And it doesn't appear to be smelly. I also have the big one and he is outside.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Quinn,

Usually it's from the side - they're lateral flowerers.

There are hundreds of succulent Asclepiads to grow, and they all have several names each, and some are fun to grow and say - Tromotriche, Quaqua, Larryleachia, Pseudolithos, Caralumma and Duvalia are but a few.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio