Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkgnome412

water retentive soil question! aka hello al and josh! lol

pinkgnome412
9 years ago

Before anyone yells at me, yes, I have read Tapla's absolutely wonderful explanation of soil and drainage and water retentiveness and how it affects roots. In fact I've probably read it 48 times and have switched most of my older plants over to the 5-1-1. They're all responding beautifully and I will have some awesome before and after pictures to share soon. So I do believe I have a grasp on this concept.

My question is basically concerning water retentive soil versus "standing in water." I understand the perched water level, but that's different from "standing in water," right?

For example, I recently received and purchased some new plants in what looks to be some peaty, perlite, and potting soil mix. It took literally a week to dry out. Does that have a similar effect on roots as "standing in water"? Will it rot them or at the very least, slow down the growth?
I'd love another excellent explanation for this!! I'm trying to make sure I understand before I go crazy repotting everything.

Oh, and if you're interested, the new plants are baby spider plants (these were gifts), a drenched Easter cactus saved from Walmart, and a wandering Jew from a greenhouse in a nursery. I also have a huge Thanksgiving Cactus I purchased back in December that must be in a peat mix because the top of the soil is hard as a rock, but the thing is putting on all kinds of new growth so I'm not sure if I should bother it since it appears healthy.

Thank you!!! I hope this question can help others as well!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?