Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identifying problem

Posted by puffinyo none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 18:38

Hi,

This is a coleus plant I've had for a few months now. I'm not sure what is wrong with this houseplant. The leaves are drooping and turning green.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identifying problem

I have very little knowledge of coleus, other than it is used as an annual in colder areas. Although, those pots look rather small in proportion with the size of the plant. Maybe they are root bound? I'm not sure how small the root system coleus have.

o

Judging from the spots on some of the leaves, I'm wondering if it might be downy mildew of Coleus.

o

It looks kinda dry. I would water it, repot it and then trim it down halfway. Coleus flower then die so please cut that flower off and aany new flowers that show up. The plant looks etiolated and therefore does not have enough light. I would also fertillize it once it bstops wilting. Here are a few tips on coleus:

WATER: WATER WHEN THE TOP 2 IN. OF SOIL IS DRY

SUNLIGHT :BRIGHT INDIRECT SUNLIGHT OR FOUR HOURS OF DIRECT MORNING SUN AND A SHADY AFTERNOON

FEEDING: EVERY 2 WEEKS WITH FERTILIZER. (NEVER DURING WINTER AND FALL)

o

Coleus are tropical shrubs, not true annuals. I leave the flowers on my Coleus because the butterflies and bees love them, hummers too. Kong type Coleus have large nodes, but can't handle much direct sun, that's just how they grow. It could be pruned into a more compact, bushy plant, but the large leaves are usually the attraction to this type.

Teen, just because you read something on the internet... I'm a french model, bon jour!

o

"Im a French model" made my day! Purple!

o

"Im a French model" made my day! Purple! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here