Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntpip_gw

How to revive my Lavender plant

AuntPip
9 years ago

I dont know much about planting or flowers so I really need help. Last year my husband bought me a Lavender plant. I planted it in a pot and kept it on my porch til it got to cold then I brought it in the house and I worked alot and it didnt get watered enough and died. I would like to know if there is any way that I can save it. it has about 20 dead branches on it. I read that some people said to cut them down and then I also read where people were saying not to. I can post a picture if that will help just let me know. So Im hoping someone is able and willing to help me. Please beware Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to plants so please bear with me. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Have a great evening. Aunt Pip!!

Comments (12)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Lavender is not well suited to life as a house plant and is better left outside year round in suitable areas. Your profile says you are z6 and there are lavenders which would be OK outdoors there. But we can't tell if yours is one of them.

A picture would help decide if yours is saveable or not.

• AuntPip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you ladies for your feed back. I have my god daughter today so I have bn pretty busy. I will most definitely post a pic for you to help me better. It will probably be a little bit later but I will definitely do it today. I really hate to lose this plant. I also would have another question :) What type of plant would be a good house plant that has lots of colors that I could buy and it live for my zone? Thank you so much for all your time. Aunt Pip!!

• AuntPip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok here is a pic of my plant. Its not a great pic but its the best my phone will do. At the bottom close to the soil there are a few green leaves but not many.

• AuntPip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic

• AuntPip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can anyone help me pls??

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, but it looks kinda dead. I suggest restarting with a new one with the knowledge you've been given. Lavenders make better outdoor plants than indoors. Some "outdoor" plants can be grown indoors, but they're most happiest outside.

Planto

• paul_
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, I believe Plantomaniac is spot on ... that looks well and truly dead.

Lavender is a common bedding plant sold at BBSs in the spring/summer. I'd second PM's suggestion of buying yourself a new one but planting it outside.

"... and I worked alot and it didnt get watered enough and died. "

This begs the question of whether this is a common situation for you. If periods of getting intensely busy (and no one can fault you for that) and thus being unable to water plants is a regular occurance, then there really aren't any great suggestions houseplant-wise.

Now if the former was a freak occurrence, then the next thing you need to provide, is a run down of what kind of conditions you can reasonably provide.
    1) What sort of lighting? (If windowsills then what kind of exposure -- N, S, E, W -- obstructed or unobstructed ...)
    2) What temperature and humidity range will exist in your home through the year?
    3) What kind of space do you have available?

• jodylinda26
    7 years ago

I do not know what to do it gets more Brown and dried out everyday it gets plenty of water and it's in the Florida Sun

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"Plenty of water" could very well be the problem. :-) Lavender is extremely drought tolerant and only needs just enough water to survive. It also dislikes an enriched, moisture retentive soil and really can turn its toes up in a very humid climate. I would not think lavenders at all well-suited for Florida, but I could be wrong.

• GreenLarry
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Lavender is an outdoor plant from cool mediteranean regions, and unless you have a room that is cool and bright it is better suited in the garden.

• jodylinda26
    7 years ago

That would explain it...too bad, it smells awesome!