Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya, Philodendron, Jade plant--water rooting.

Posted by Meezer42 Pa (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 19:13

Hello! I have a pretty simple question. I am in the process of rooting a fairly large philodendron cutting, a pair of jade plant cuttings, and a hoya plant cutting. The philodendron seems to have aerial roots growing from nodes along the vines and it is quite a lush sample. The hoya cutting has about 4 leaves on it but little nubs all over the stem which I am not sure are roots or not. The jade plant roots are developing nicely, but they are pretty stringy.

All of these cuttings are rooting under a plant light in water. My question is, "When do I pot all of these cuttings?" I'm not sure if there is an approximate amount of root growth I need before I pot each cutting and of course I would like the plants to develop nicely. Thank you in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya, Philodendron, Jade plant--water rooting.

for the philo and hoya I plant fairly soon after the roots start to emerge. I have also just stuck these guys directly into soil after being cut and they grow everytime. Jade I don't have much experience with, but im sure someone will help with that.

Goodluck,
Tuck

o

for the philo and hoya I plant fairly soon after the roots start to emerge. I have also just stuck these guys directly into soil after being cut and they grow everytime. Jade I don't have much experience with, but im sure someone will help with that.

Goodluck,
Tuck

o

On the Philo, you can put it in soil any time. If it's got aerial roots, it's an epiphyte, so doesn't need a ton of room for roots, and doesn't appreciate soggy soil. If you put it along the surface, instead of sticking straight down into the pot, it should be much more likely to sprout multiple tops at the nodes.

It would be best to ask about the jade cutting on the cacti & succulents forum. No experience with Hoya.

Good luck!!

o

No water rooting the jade, rooting a leaf has been most reliable for me. Hit the link from the C & S forum.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Propagation

o

It's very possible to hydro root a jade although hydro rooting a jade isn't very common amongst the formal theories.

As soon as you see it has roots you can then pot it

o

Pot them immediately into well-draining soil.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here