Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twoofhearts

droopy snake plant please help!

TwoOfHearts
12 years ago

My snake plant, which had thrived for the past 5 years, is now very droopy. The leaves do not stand up straight anymore. i was only watering it every 2-3 weeks (at most). I cannot tell if I was over or underwatering it. Can someone please help me identify the problem and suggest what to do? Thank you! I cant figure out how to attach a picture to this posting??

Comments (17)

• TwoOfHearts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your advice! i just repotted it and found that it was soaking in water! i was only watering it once a month (or so) so i dont understand why there was so much water in the soil. it sits in pretty good light. when you say "water the heck out of it," doesn't that run the risk of the water not properly drying out because there is so much in the soil? i feel like i might have overwatered it when i actually did.

thanks for your help!

• brodyjames_gw
    12 years ago

Does the pot have drainage holes in it? If so, then the next time you water, water until you see it coming out of the holes aka "water the heck out of it" and then don't water the plant again until you can poke your finger in the soil and have it come out dry. If your pot does NOT have drainage holes, then I suggest repotting (again) into a pot that does.
    What kind of soil are you using? If regular potting soil, you should mix in up to 75% perlite and/or some kind of other inorganic material such as chicken grit to make the soil more gritty, thus facilitating better drainage.
    Snake plants are a succulent and can go for months without watering and be none the worse for wear. Mine haven't been watered since January. They are pretty tough plants and a 2nd repot shouldn't hurt it. Also, when you repot a succulent, you should always wait a few days before watering it.

Nancy

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

In a fast draining, porous potting mix, all of the excess water will drain from the container promptly. Watering thoroughly should really never be a problem. It's giving little sips each time that can cause issues.

• TwoOfHearts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all for your advice. i repotted the plant but am wondering what to do with the long leaves that are drooping and bending over. will they ever stand up straight again or should i trim them? will they grow back?

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Did only a few leaves collapse or more and did they begin to yellow? Snake plants-Sansevieria species are lilies native to central and southern Africa commonly found growing in seasonally dry areas. When you repotted the plant did you notice if the roots were healthy where the color is tannish higher up in the root with ends being white-they should also have been firm not mushy? If mushy or soft and dark then sounds like root collapse which would cause the plant to collapse. Though these plants are known for their ability to survive in low light best care is an area with bright light even direct sun if grown inside. If you are not growing the plant in area with bright light inside I would move it to such a spot for best growth. Without seeing a picture of the roots I can't be certain if this happened due to lack of light and/or too much water but if the pot you hade it in had no drainage holes and sat in water especially in the winter when growth is slowed or stopped I would suspect the latter.

Scott

• brodyjames_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Two,

Odds are the drooping leaves will never stand back up...they'll most likely stay green for a while and then begin to yellow. You can tie them up to keep the look of the plant, or you can trim them. The cut leaves, if in good health, will continue to grow, but they won't regain the pointed tip and will have a blunt edge.

Nancy

• elichka
    12 years ago

Please go to Sansevieria Forum. it has lots of info how to care about this plant.

Inna

• TwoOfHearts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THank you all so much for your advice. ok i did it...i trimmed the droopy leaves off. it was rather severe and it looks like i gave the plant a drastic hair-cut. I will wait and see if the leaves grow back. I sure hope they do! i repotted it in a perlite mix soil and watered it slightly. I will leave it on my balcony for a while (where there is more sun). Can someone tell me how to post photos on this forum? i cant figure it out and would love to show you all what i am experiencing.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

If it hasn't had direct sun, pls. expose it gradually (a few hrs. a day), so it doesn't burn.

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Two of hearts go to the hosta forum scroll down to the bottom and click on next page day-previous postings in that section you will see very detailed instructions on how to post pictures. If you have problems finding it let me know.

Scott

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Too late to help. I use tomato cages to support my sans. They are 4 feet tall. Also supported leaves will regain strength and support themselves in time. The main problems must be corrected first. The information you got here is correct and should help you. As far as the leaves are concern, you should get plenty more new ones.

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

This is the one I have in my bathroom, I pretty much ignore it. It is getting several new leaves, and it is really healthy. I also have a taller one, 4.5

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

And this is the tall one. Guess it is not to bright, but it is 4',5"

• Tim Smith
    7 years ago

I have a pot of this plant and one plant is growing nicely the other is laying on it's side. Why is that? I expect I will dig up the droopy plant and see what's going on. It was the original plant. The straight up one is an off shoot.

Too, I have another that is curled over funny like. What would cause that. Should I just dig and repot that one as well? It too has another in the pot that is growing straight up.

I'd like to avoid these problems in the future.

Thanks for the advice not to give them little sips like I have been doing. I will pass them by for a couple of months or more.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    7 years ago

Tim, there's a Sansevieria forum here, linked at top of house plant forum. If you start a new discussion there, your question will get the separate attention it deserves. Adding a pic should elicit the most relevant feedback.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    7 years ago

Agreed, too many possibilities to consider. Pictures help alot. Mostly what kind of soil is it planted in. How much light and how much watering and if there is a drain hole in bottom of pot. Is it in a drafty area, too much cold.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living