Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley927

Problems with Maranta

Ashley927
10 years ago

I've had this plant for 2 years. The leaves are starting to turn yellow again. This happened last year in the spring and as soon as I put it outside when the weather was warm enough it stopped happening. Its not yet warn enough to put it outside yet but I don't want it to get worse. The plant also had new shoots coming up out of the soil. I'm not sure if it's dying or not. Please help. I really like this plant.

Comments (9)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

It's natural for plants to lose older leaves. The worst killer of indoor plants is over-watering. The minute I see one of those pots with saucers attached, I imagine the plant may be wallowing and drowning. And with a small pot, you can over-judge that even having had the plant for a couple of years.
    Chop off the dead and most yellow of the leaves, they are doing nothing for the plant's survival.
    Check on and under leaves for any webbing or silvering that might indicate spider mite.
    Remove the plant from that saucer to make sure it's not sitting IN water. The ideal is, to water a plant when the soil is drying out, enough so the water penetrates the soil but drains freely, THEN don't add any more. You can keep the saucer for protection of the floor or furniture but raise the pot up on a couple of pebbles/bottle tops so it's not sitting right in it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I agree with every word. Plants almost always use less water during winter, so the effects of sitting in soggy soil for a few months will be really showing by spring.

Has your plant been in the same soil for 2 years?

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

If you test the soil moisture all the way to the bottom of the pot before watering, soggy roots will not occur, whether you leave a little water in the saucer after watering or not.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I9 agree. But i want to throw in the POSSIBILITY of sunburn. have you moved it recently

• Ashley927
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes it had been in he same soil. I only water it when the soil dries out and the pot feel lighter in weight. Maybe every 2 weeks or so. I recently moved the plant into the bathroom to increase the humidity, but the plant is not in direct sunlight.

10 years ago

In my short experience with this plant, I would encourage you to find a spot with more light. When my plant bloomed this winter, it was getting about an hour of direct sun in the morning. I would also encourage you to consider repotting when convenient.

Love your wallpaper, btw!

• Ashley927
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At this point it only one 2 leaves left on it, but there are 3 new shoots coming up. Is it okay to re-pot? I don't want to hurt the new plants that are coming up.

10 years ago

The decision to repot a struggling plant isn't easy, one has to decide the plant is more likely to die rather than recover more before disturbing. I would do it when it's warm enough to put the plant outside, as long as the plant looked vigorous enough to handle it, removing as much of the old soil as possible, trim any really long roots so they don't have to twist to fit back in the pot. New leaves appearing is a great sign. The added humidity should help a lot with its' recovery. After repotting, I would put it where it gets the first hour of sun, then move it gradually to more sun if you want, and the plant seems like it can handle more. Since it should be almost all new leaves, they should have an easy adjustment to more sun. You may be able to get it comfortable with being in the sun in the morning until about 10 am. Sunburn takes a few days to start showing up on this plant, so go slowly.

• slickrick2003
    10 years ago

It's very true about this plant it's related to Calathea family plants, and these plants only need a good hour of light and at this time of the year is like changing cycle for them you can trust me that's all that happening just leave alone and yes you need to repot into a better pot with good drainage those types of pots are not for this plant or any of them . P.S here is a picture of one mine. All grow are Calatheas Enjoy.