Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloomin' dracena!

Posted by alison 5/OH (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 19:36

I've never seen a blooming dracena before, but my co-workers plant started to put out a spike two weeks ago, and it's now about 18" long! It's right in a window well, and gets afternoon sun for several hours a day.

The bonus has been the fragrance -- it's incredible! A cross between lilacs and jasmine, and so strong it perfumes the entire station by the end of the day.

For all I know this is a common phenomenon, and I've just seen light starved dracena, but this has been a revelation to me, and I wanted to share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloomin' dracena!

Beautiful....WOW!! I hope my corn plant does that one day!!

Tracy

o

Alison, isn't it fragrant, too? I love the scent..especially when they bloom mid-winter..Toni

o

Alison, how lovely. I have never seen a Dracaena in bloom. That really is something!

(I should have a good talk with these Dracs of mine, about their lack of flowering. I pamper them, spoil them, cater to them...where is the thanks? LOL...)

o

Well, I'd never seen it before -- but here it is again!

(I am so taking a cutting of this plant when I go!

o

Cool! I've never seen one bloom 'in person', either!
Wish I could smell it, too! ()

It's not real common indoors, but it does happen.
Seems that someone posted a couple of years ago that theirs had bloomed indoors.

Thanks for sharing!

o

I have a dracena that is blooming at the current time. I was terribly surprised when I noticed the stalks. I have kept cornstalk dracenas for years and this is the first tine I have ever seen or heard of one blooming. I have three good sized heads on the pot and each has sent out a stalk of blossoms. And, yes, the scent has started today, as the blossoms have opened....very thick and heavy odor, but pleasant. Judy

o

I've seen a lots of Draceana Fragrance blooming at one of our places of interest here in Borneo. The place is where you can enjoy the fresh water fishes swimming together with you. The owner of the place plants the Draceana fragrance along the road to the swimming area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here