Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkay_gw

Philo Pink Princess

elkay_gw
12 years ago

Just wanted to show you a pic of my Philodendron Pink Princess. I have been wanting one for over a year. I ordered it online and just got it yesterday.

{{gwi:76695}}

Comments (19)

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

I have always admired this unusual beauty. Yours looks very nice. Where did you buy it?

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

elkay,
    Wow, I've never heard of one of these before, I can see why you waited so long to purchase one, that's gorgeous!

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

That's incredible! Soooo pretty!

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got it from an ebay store called "pj's plants and things". They actually gave me 2 plants.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Elkay, your PP is the prettiest I've ever seen. 'Much nicer than mine, lol.'
    Colors are very, very vivid.
    I love the way the two lower leaves, one side pink, the other side green, blend together. Beautiful.
    It looks fairly large, too???

What type of light will it get? Toni

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni,
    It's in a 4" pot and is about 8" high. It will be going out on my deck which is shaded by large oaks and maple trees - so no direct sun. I think it should like that.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the colors, too.

• Lamora
    12 years ago

Thanks alot! now I want one!! lol-- but it is very pretty, congrats! :)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Elkay, looks a lot larger.

Your PP is much brighter than mine. Did you have light aiming on your Philo when you snapped the picture?

Here's mine. Got two small PP's. One around 2000, bought on Ebay, the second in 2009 purchased locally.

{{gwi:84350}}

Wonder how much light and humidity yours got at PJ's.
    I like your PP much better than mine, lol. Yours has a lot more pink.

Marj,...the longer you're on GW, you'll find you want many more plants...lol.

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not very big. Yours looks pretty large.

I didn't use any artificial light when taking the pic.....just took it outside, late afternoon, overcast sky.

Do you have a Philodendron Prince of Orange? I got this one about 1.5 years ago.

{{gwi:76694}}

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Howdy Elkay,

If I unraveled PP, it'd be tall, but spindly, however, I pruned the top back last month.
    Remember, there are two PP's potted together..one, 12-yrs, possibly older.
    I purchased the second PP to look compact.

No, don't have Prince of Orange. Yours is so pretty..Love the way new leaves grow orange/red. Should I get one? lol.

Elkay, 'X' years back, I lost interest in Philos. I decided to give most to a girl who had very few plants. I kept 5 or so, plus cuttings, gave her 27, including a Prince of Orange.

6-7 years ago, the interest returned. lol. Gradually, I'd purchase a rare or variegated Philo.
    Problem is space..some grow huge.

One Philo I kept was purchased at Black Jungle in the mid-90's. I don't know its species. In fact, I'm going to start a thread, explain and show pics. Hopefully, someone knows its type.

Anyway, your Prince is lovely. What size is its pot?

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's only in it's original 4" pot, altho I guess it looks bigger. I'll be putting it in a larger pot soon.

Hope you find out the name of your mystery philo.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Elkay..it's amazing your huge Prince is still in a 4" pot. Then again, many authors state potted Philos like being root-bound.

Mine get repotted when there's more roots than soil, in spring.

I wish someone knew the mystery Philo, too. I might write to BJ, see if they recall the name. Think they're out of town now so it'll have to wait.

• Lovemyplants1
    11 years ago

Ive been wanting one since i started my collections of philos. I have a lemon lime, brazil, micah, green heart leaf, and a satin. Im glad to hear pjs is dependable. Ive been considering ordering one from there. Now i will be placing my order for one from there tomorrow. Do the pink philos trail like the others?

11 years ago

Hey the title of this thread is exactly what I wanted to discuss. Does this giant plant I saw yesterday look like a Philo pink princess to y'all?

11 years ago

The lighter, plain green part at the top was making flowers. The lady working there thought it was all the same plant...? I couldn't tell. It was hanging above my head.

11 years ago

I didn't see any smaller versions so I asked, and was taken to the "hospital room" where she said they had put some starts in pots. I was allowed to buy this one and felt privileged and thrilled. ...a little over $2 per leaf. Seemed kind of high, but the alternative was getting none of it. I thought about it for a split second, and that's much less than I paid, per leaf, for one with about 4 (at the time) huge dark red leaves last spring...

• woodnative
    11 years ago

That looks like it is probably 'Pink Princess'..........Mine does not have that orangey color on the new growth but the pink spots are a dead giveaway. I never saw one as large as the plant in the store there! I like 'Pink Princess'.....not particularly fast growing but also undemanding and the color is unique and beautiful.

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. Mine does not have the orange color on the new growth, either.

11 years ago

I just love touching the leaves of these plants. Kind of feels like a fruit roll-up but not sticky (I hope!!) LOL!

It could be something else, fo' sho'. There are so many Philos, it was just my guess. If the orange new leaf is an anomaly, that probably indicates it's something else.

Starting to have serious regret over not even asking how much for the plain green flowering section. I'm sitting here missing it pretty bad somehow. That can't be part of the same plant, and those hot pink flowers were amazing! I think that might have been Philo 'Moonlight'.

Either way, the giant plant no doubt blew me away!! Not the kind of thing you usually see at a store.

I knew I was home even before I saw that, somebody there obviously loves plants, it's not just a store. Can't say enough about how good it felt to just be at such a place for the first time in the better part of a decade, let alone seeing a lot of plants that I didn't know what they were, that "exploring the jungle" sensation.

So the dark red/burgundy Philo I mentioned burns really easily and I'm assuming this plant is likely to also. I think they would look smashing planted together, will do that while repotting stuff, one less pot too. That one grows really slowly too, about 1 leaf per 5-7 weeks.