Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
itchy fingers: too early to prune F. elastica?

Posted by gravyboots 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 19:53

The title says it all -

Here is a pic of the tree from late last summer:

From 9 Lives Ficus elastica

I will be removing the top branch (the one pointing "away" in the pic). The tree has been in an unobstructed south-facing window all winter (a BIG plus here in the PNW) and getting fed.

Anyone had satisfactory results pruning this time of year? Of course, I'd love to hear from you, Al....

Thanks!
GB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: itchy fingers: too early to prune F. elastica?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 22:02

Lol @ your impatience - it won't kill your tree, it will just respond better if you wait - especially if you're going to repot. The plan would be repot around Father's Day and do your hard pruning 2-3 weeks later - around the 4th of July. Using the holidays makes it easy to remember. Your tree's just waking up - give it a little time to get going. Your call though, of course.

Photobucket Al

o

Well Al, your advice is no surprise ;D ...especially considering that I haven't been using the stove lately, so it's been pretty cool in the house. There are some warm temps coming up (60's!) so I'm going to start dragging the Ficuses & Dracaenas outside during the day.

I don't plan to repot the tree pictured beyond changing the planting angle somewhat - maybe that will end up developing into something major though. I loaded the bottom of the pot with big rocks last year, to give some weight since the top is so unwieldy & maybe there are enough roots that those should be removed. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for weighing in Al - it's hard to be patient!

GB

o

Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 14:13

I look at people impatient to push the season as not having enough plants to keep themselves busy enough that they don't need to fret over a plant or two. ;-) You need more plants. Sometimes I go as long as 3-4 years with a potential bonsai in a pot w/o even touching (pruning) it - no problem. I have enough others to keep my hands & mind occupied.

Al

o

Gravy, was your Ficus purchased w/one trunk?

My goal is to cut stems w/leaves from two Ficus elasticas, so they end up with one trunk, instead of bushes.

If you pruned your Ficus, shaping into a standard, can you please tell me how it was done? Thanks, Toni

o

Toni, I've known this plant off & on for about 13 years; it was in the house I'm living at when I originally moved in & it stayed when I moved out again. The main trunk was already cut when we met....

Here's how it looked a couple years ago, after having some recovery time from a total soil collapse episode:

It's looking better, but the spread of the arm-like branches is now over 4 ft - much too wide. I am going to take off the top branch, cutting just about at the jute (see photo at top of thread), then follow Al's advice & adjust the potting angle so the "new" main trunk is going pretty vertical. The goal is to get this tree in more of a upright habit - I may wire the remaining branches to grow upward since the apical meristem of the "new" main trunk has also been removed (you can see this on the original pic too, at the top left).

Here is the goal for this year's pruning & adjusting:

Al, if you can believe it, plants are my job too - I think I may have some kind of condition!

GB

o

Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 21:38

Well, then I Just Dropped in to see what Condition Your Condition is in.

Who remembers Kenny Rogers & the First Edition's late 1960s hit by (almost) that name? Never mind - can't blame you if you don't/won't answer. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhOKhJaM1QE&feature=related

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here