Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hawaiin Schefflera

Posted by noplantwiz NC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 20:06

I was trying to find our how often do these need to be repotted and how can I tell when it needs it. I have had one in the same pot for about a year and 8 months so I assume it needs it. What kind of soil is best for them? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hawaiin Schefflera

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 20:22

They need to be repotted at about the time the root/soil mass can be lifted from the pot intact. There is a distinct difference between repotting and simply potting up, with repotting being the choice that most benefits the plant, offering the only opportunity between the two that the plant might grow to it's genetic potential. How often the plant reaches the point where it needs repotting depends on your skills as a grower and the volume of soil it was planted in. The best soil is one that is durable (retains its structure), drains freely, and supports little perched water at container capacity (when the soil is fully saturated). For a better understanding of how the amount of water your soil holds affects your plant's growth and vitality, follow the link I left below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about soils if you click me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here