Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am new and have no idea what this plant is

Posted by docsnurse none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 20:08

Can someone please help? I am probably one of the worst gardeners in the world. If I water it and it lives, great. If not, well...I move on. I have no idea what the vast majority of my plants are, but I have a number of great plants that have managed to survive my abuse for over 30 years now.

One of which surprised all of us over the last few days. Never, in 30 years, has this plant flowered. And WHAT a flower. It's like essence of gardenia and is filling the whole downstairs with the most marvelous fragrance. I took a couple of pictures and I'm hoping someone can please, please, PLEASE tell me what this plant is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am new and have no idea what this plant is

Dracaena reflexa.

That'd be my guess. :)

o

As good a guess as any! I thought it is some sort of miniature palm tree! Like I said, I'm not exactly a rocket scientist when it comes to these things.

I looked it up and found a good description on the Missouri Botanical Museum website. It says it "rarely flowers." No kidding!! I think 30 years counts as rare. I wish I could attach the smell of this thing. Wow...just...WOW.

o

Definitely not a palm, kinda of cool!

o

After a bit of digging I'm thinking I'm going to change my mind and suggest dracaena deremensis instead.

Give that a spin and see if any of the images match(or are at least alot closer.

o

Yep, Dracaena Deremensis, probably White Stripe, maybe Ulysses.

Flower won't last long before disintegrating in a sticky mess.

You _may_ find that the new growth is a bit distorted after flowering. If so, cut the stem below the flowering point and it'll grow again normally.

o

Fantastic!!

o

Definitely a dracaena. Good job. You must be making it happy if it has lasted this long and flowered!

If you were wondering, the little plant to its left in first pic appears to be a kalanchoe.

o

Thank you all for the great answer. As of this afternoon, it's still blooming and we are all enjoying the amazing scent.

o

Congrats on keeping it alive for so long,great job! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here