Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonbull_gw

New plants, how am I doing?

Bostonbull
9 years ago

Bought quite a few new plants. Ficus Alii (8'), Fiddle Leaf Fig (30"), Dracaena marginata(6'), Norfolk Island pine(7'), ZeeZee(18"), Rubber Tree(3'), and some herb plants such as mint and lemon balms(5").

I water all plants once a week with Neptune Harvest Sea Kelp, Organics Rx indoor Plant food, and EM-1 microbial innoculant. Good deep watering on all.

All plants received a top dressing of compost with peat moss when I brought them in about 3-4 weeks ago from the nursery.

The Norfolk is turning brown on the bottom, thinking it needs water more than once a week? I moved it to a sunnier spot, indirect morning sun only, reflective light after that.

Dracaena has dropped 1-2 leaves every few days for past 2 weeks. Not sure if this is normal, or it needs more/less water? Not looking bare, and the leaves yellow and fall off different areas. Gets good light all day, never direct, but never shaded.

Alii is same story as the Dracaena, nothing crazy but a few leaves a week yellow and fall off. Plenty of indirect sun.

I had one leaf on the rubber tree yellow this week, very odd. Both of these get plenty of morning indirect and one (the one that browned) gets tons of direct afternoon light.

The ZeeZee and fiddle leaf (both get an OK amount of indirect light all day) are doing great! Couple of the very lower small leaves right near the pot have browned and fallen off, but the soil was far too deep for them anyway.

What else should I be doing or not doing?

Background....

I am a certified arborist for 10 years who is a complete geek with trees, and shrubs. First go at indoor plants.

Comments (2)