Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena massangeana (Corn Plant) Soil Seems Compacted

Posted by Summersoff none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 20:13

Hi Everyone
I am new to plants, and when I bought this big Corn plant I noticed that the soil seemed to be hard like mud (well not that hard)when it is dry. It doesn't look like a free-flowing, well-draining soil.
My theory was correct as I tried to water it this morning. The soil was dry on top and when I put my finger down a little ways. So as I watered it the water pooled at the top for a good 10 seconds then sunk down beneath the soil.
I am afraid of losing this plant to root rot as the water has no where to go--and definitely there was no water draining out of the bottom of the pot.
I live in Korea at the moment and it's hard to communicate.
I'm wondering what I should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena massangeana (Corn Plant) Soil Seems Compacted

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 20:36

You live in a part of the world where akadama, kanuma, Kiryu sand, lava, and pumice should be readily available. My suggestion is that you study the link I'm going to leave at the end of this post, and make your own soils to mimic the gritty mix, seen in this picture
Photobucket. I grow ALL my houseplants and long term plantings in this soil with exceptional results.

With an appropriate fertilizer, you will find it very easy to maintain plants in excellent health in similar, well-aerated soils, soils such as those who practice bonsai in your country might use.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: The info promised - if you click me. ;-)

o
RE: Dracaena massangeana (Corn Plant) Soil Seems Compacted

Thank you, Al. Very interesting read in that link you provided =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here