Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with these leaves? Variegated rubber plant.

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 20:22

As you can see from the photos below, the new leaves at the top look perfect. However, the older leaves have brown, dried edges at some of the leaf's periphery. I don't fertilize it much, maybe a couple times a year, sprinkle some Osmocote, water when I feel the soil is dry. I checked with my fingers, as well as when I see a gap developing between the soil and the wall of the pot. The plant sits at a west facing window.

Thanks,

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with these leaves? Variegated rubber plant.

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 20:45

Unless you have a cache pot hiding inside the large pot, it looks like you have a very large volume of soil for the size of the plant. That's not a problem if you're using a fast (draining), well-aerated soil, but it can present significant issues if you're using a water-retentive soil because the soil stays saturated deep in the pot for extended periods, killing roots or impairing root function and impeding the plant's ability to move water to the top of the plant. Additionally, it's commonplace to water heavy soil;s in sips, in an attempt to avoid there waterlogged conditions, but in doing so you ensure that dissolved solids from fertilizers and tap water accumulate in the soil and further inhibit the plant's ability to keep foliage hydrated. The result is usually the necrotic leaf tips and margins seen in your pictures.

There ARE remedies and tricks you can use that will allow you to water properly (so at least 10-15% of the total volume of water you apply exits the drain every time you water), but the best fix (by far) is to start using a soil that you KNOW will remain well-aerated and drain freely for at least the interval it's reasonable to allow between repots (not potting up).

If you're interested in getting your plant back on track, we can talk more. You might also find the thread I'll link you to below helpful, as it directly addresses the care of Ficus trees in containers.

AL

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Ficus in containers

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 23:20

Thanks Al, I'll repot it in the gritty mix.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 23:28

Photobucket

o

Al is correct. Not that you needed me to tell you that : P

-3rd year

Here is a link that might be useful: Houseplantblog.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here