Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Termites in potted plants

Posted by vaindioux 7aCanton-GA- (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 20:24

Hi

I have about 20 potted plants mostly palms which I drag in and out of my garage throughout the winter as weather permits they spend spring, summer and fall outside.
I repot them every spring and I found a nest of termites in one pot. We have never had any termites problems in our 12 Y.O. home.
I am wondering what chemical you suggest I can start using when it's time to drag the pots back in the house around November to kill eventual termites?

Thanks a lot

Patrick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Termites in potted plants

Eliminate the termite problem in your garage!
I just can't believe they are coming seasonal to feed on your plants.

o

No termites in my garage.

Thanks

Patrick

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 21:03

Any granular soil application of Imidacloprid will get rid of them immediately. I generally use a soil drench, but you may find that as off label usage for potted plants - not that the chemical hasn't been approved for soil applications indoors, just that I suspect you'll find all the soil drench applications tailored to outdoor use, with granular formulations like Merit and Marathon more commonly used indoors. Imidacloprid is very low in toxicity and used in flea collars & powders for pets.

Al

o
additionally ....

Neglected to mention that you shouldn't use it on table fare and to always heed/follow instructions and cautions on the package.

Al

o

Patrick, you sure they're not ants of Fungus gnats? Toni

o

Toni

These were termites 120% sure about it.I disposed of the whole thing in trash bags in the garbage.

Thanks

Patrick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here