Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

AHHHH..The sweet smell of success! Pic

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

In the fragrant world, next to Citrus, these are my two favorites and I could of never done it without the great information dispensed here about the gritty and 5.1.1 mix!

Thanks 'AL' and others for all the time you have taken to help me be successful at growing exotic plants that I always thought once impossible:-)

These are my six inch container plants growing in the 5.1.1 mix.

The gardenia is a save from Lowe's for 5 bucks two weeks ago that was on it's way out, half dead and the Brunsfelsia is one that I bought last fall!

The gardenia acted remarkably for the better once transplanted out of the compacted mix and fed Foilage Pro and vinegar! It's leaves were yellow and the buds were looking limp. Now they reward me with their love back.

I am sitting between these two plants as I type, and oh they smell so sweet!

{{gwi:84534}}

{{gwi:84535}}

{{gwi:84536}}

{{gwi:84536}}

{{gwi:84537}}

Comments (16)

• MojaveLove
    13 years ago

Wow! Aw, the plant is thanking you for saving it from the trash :)

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Very good saves, Mike! It's amazing what we can do when we put a little bit of knowledge to work for us! I can only imagine the wonderful scent!

Good work, Mike! :-)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Great pics.
    Great plants.
    Strong work!

I'll say again that you've come a long way in the last couple of years, Mike. You certainly deserve to take a bow.

Al

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Oh,
    That is so beautiful! Like Jodi said, i can just imagine how good it must smell!

How long does a gardenia bloom last?

Great job Mike and thanks for sharing that!

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jojo!!! It smells heavenly!

Mom and I were eating in the living room last night surrounded by them, and just couldn't get over it!
    The Gardenia blooms will last for days if kept in a humid enviroment, not yours,lol, and for a day or two if a dry enviroment. Seems like they have a mind of their own.
    Everytime it warms here and teh humidity creeps up, they explode in new flowers as if they are open to withdraw moisture out of the air.
    Funny thing though, they HATE being showered or sprayed with water while in bloom, since the flowers can turn brown faster than lightning.
    Then when it gets cold and dry, it seems as if they just sit there, the buds that is, in suspended animation until the humidity comes back..lol
    The Brunfelsia is just AMAZING! It gives a very strong delightful fragrance only at night, and then nothing after the sun comes up..It is loaded with buds which excites me let me tell you!
    I am anxious to see many more of 'your' plants in the gritty and 5.1.1 mixes!:0)I hear you have attained quite a few now!

Thanks Jojo

Al: Great teacher.
    Good application.
    Sweet success!

Thank you Al...Looking at my older posts, yes, I would say you are on target about that:0-)

Jodik: I wish I could send some of the fragrance your way. You can not even imagine the smell. I wish I could bottle it up and send it to you!
    Your reminders to many here have helped me and my friends to understand things so much easier. :-)

MojaveLove: Thank you for looking and your kind comments!
    Yes. I am glad I saved that gardenia from near certain death.

Mike

• kemistry
    13 years ago

My gardenia flower typically lasted a week. Even after it has dried up it still kept the scent for another 1 or 2 days.

Mike, I love the brunfelsia!!!!! I hope mine will bloom soon. How long does each flower last?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Great scores, Mike!
    Is this the plant you were telling me about? ;-)
    I think so...

Josh

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Okay Mike its enough... tell everyone that you plants are plastic made...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Kemistry: It should be just fine, especially coming into the warmer more humid months. If there is one plant that can't stand dry air. this one ranks first place. Wow. As soon as the humidity comes into the air, it blossoms like mad!

Izhar: You are way too funny. Good to see you. By the way, if you see this thread again, I would love to know how your Clivia is doing? Hope you are well.

Hey Josh! Yes this is the one. I can get you a small one and we will chat later about that. Appreciate the kind words!

Last night, the whole house had the aroma of these plants! Very intoxicating!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Mike, those are awesome! Great job growing those gardenias. I hope to have some bloom soon too...can't wait to smell them in person! Congrats!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Clivia is doing great now, from Al's thread "A Soil Discussion II" I gather info from Xuan's post as turface, pinebark & perlite are not available here, so I used Coconut husk chips, crushed Charcoal and bark from various trees grow here. The plant has grown three long, fat roots and two new leaves.

I got two fat seeds from Rick (rredbbeard) and they both are growing very quickly, forming 1.5" long radicals within a week of sowing, they are an orange variety.

Izhar

• odyssey3
    13 years ago

Mike, those are really beautiful!! good job! I have to ask about the vinegar, though. I haven't heard of using vinegar before. Is this for acid loving plants? How do you apply it and at what ratio? I'm very curious.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great news on your Clivias Izhar. Maybe they llok as good as plastic too, right?;:-0)

Odyssey:

I only use 1 capful, the capful from the bottle, of vinegar per gallon. It brings the pH of my water down to 5.5-6.0

You can always test your water with test stris, but I don't know of anyone that has ever had a problem using a capful per gallon:-). Thank you for your kind comments too!

Mike

• newgen
    13 years ago

I also love the fragrance of gardenias, as well as citrus. Mike, have you had the chance to smell Michelia alba flowers? For me, it's right up there with citrus.

• odyssey3
    13 years ago

Interesting, mike. I think I'll give the vinegar a try. I always have some on hand because it is my favorite laundry fabric softener. It works really well.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Newgen: No I have yet to smell that flower. Are they easy to grow? Do they flower abundantly?

I just might give one a try if it is on the difficulty scale, as let's say, gardenia;-) Thanks

Well Odyssey: I have heard of vinegar being usual for hundreds of things, but for cloths? That is a first. I shall have to try that. Your plants will be happy with the added care....Thank you

Mike:-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting