Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prayer Plant with Legs?

Posted by Kneezy Venice, CA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 20:28

Hi all! Ive been growing my beautiful Maranta leucoreura's for about 10-12 months. Ive recently noticed these spindly little branches "legs" growing.I first noticed them on the ones I had taken cuttings from, but I also found them on one of the girls I had yet to take cuttings from. My prayer plants have been doing amazingly well in my apt, so Im not sure what exactly these little legs might be from? Can anyone help me out? Ive attached a pic of one of the "legs" that are currently growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prayer Plant with Legs?

I'm sorry as I don't know what those are (I'm guessing some kind of root), but I'd like to know if you could provide a picture of your entire plant? It sounds like a beaut. How did you go about taking cuttings (where did you cut, how did you root them?)?

Planto

o

A root, huh? interesting,.. It kind of does look like a root now that you mention it. There are always these little rough white spots on the stem nodes at the base of each set of leaves that remind me of wannabe root sites...I hope that makes sense! Ill attach a pic of what Im talking about next. Note the little bumps-

o

Here are a couple of the girls before I took some cuttings. The cuttings rooted really easily and quickly.

o

these are the girls in bedroom, POST-cuttings. They were getting really heavy with new growth. I LOVE watching these plants grow:)

o

Adventitious roots. Cuttings taken with these on them will take quicker than without.

o

Ah, that's the word I was looking for but couldn't think of, "adventitious." Those little bumps you are describing are future sites for roots I believe.

How did you root your cuttings, in water?

Planto

o

Flower stems look a lot like that, but it does look more fat than one of those, in the first pic. In the 2nd pic, looks like where a flower stem was cut off?

Your plants are amazing!! Wow! Maranta whisperer. I'd love to hear more about what kind of light these plants enjoy at your place.

o

Beautiful, I'd like to know whats your magic trick also :>)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here