Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification please (hanging foliage with root bulges)

Posted by Telefina 3b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 20:44

I've never seen one of these. It has oblong growths along the roots, they seem starch filled, probably some kind of energy storage.

Whenever I prune it, it goes into growth overdrive, putting out new shoots all over. The shoots resemble grain stalks, but then they grow into leaves instead.

It grows extremely fast, putting on several centimetres per day, growing an entire metre in about a couple weeks. I'm thinking it's in the grass family, except the leaves don't look like grass blades.\

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification please (hanging foliage with root bulges)

Asparagus aethiopicus. :)

o

Thanks!! That's totally it!

Google tells me it's also called Asparagus fern, but that it isn't a true fern... I remembered someone telling me it was "a fern" but I couldn't find anything like it in the fern guides, and it didn't seem to grow like a fern at all (i.e. new shoots off the main shoots)

o

I remember like a million years ago my mom had one she kept in a bathroom and it shed all over the place. Don't think I've actually ever kept one though. That fluffy airy texture would be eye-catching in any collection! :)

o

Yep, it does shed a fair bit. I didn't realize it's toxic to cats, so I might have to move it from its location directly above the cat food.......

o

LOL Good idea! :)

o

Hi,

I believe that's an Asparagus Fern, sorry I don't know its Botanical Name, but it's very nice. Can eventually bloom white blooms & red berries, a lovely look.

o

Asparagus sprengeri, AFAIK. An "interesting plant" up north, horrible weed here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here