Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Kentia Palm :(

Posted by tuxx none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 21:18

Hi guys,

I have a Kentia Palm which is dying slowly and I don't know why. I water it regularly, but not too often and not too much. Recently I've noticed that the soil is full of small, gray bubbles with some liquid inside :/ (see attached picture). I've no idea what they are.. Could this be the cause? Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Kentia Palm :(

• Posted by tuxx none (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 21:21

This is how the leafs look like. I already cut 2 because they died :(

o

Looks like the air is too dry, especially if that heater it's beside is turned on. The little 'bubbles' is slow release fertilizer usually put in the pot before the plants are shipped out of the nursery. I would repot the plant to a slightly bigger pot with a good potting mix and try and increase the humidity. Maybe you can spray the fronds with a mister a few times a week. Also are you sure this is a Kentia palm? It looks like a majesty from the pic.

o

• Posted by tuxx none (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 22:37

I think you're right, the air is dry. Maybe the spray will help, I'll give it a try. I also noticed that the roots are still not strong, and the plant is flimsy, as if it didn't suck any water at all since I bought it. I didn't know exactly what type of palm it is, but I searched now and you're right, it's a majesty. Thanks for the tips!

o

That is not a Kentia palm. That's a majesty palm that is sold at home depot and lowe's. The gray granules are slow release fertilizer. This is not an indoor palm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here