Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What house plant do I have?

Posted by katiept none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 21:48

I'm new to owning indoor plants, and I don't know what type this plant is. It is high maintenance, requires a lot of water, and browns easily. Does anyone know how to properly care for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What house plant do I have?

Katiept it appears to have been some sort of pine tree - but I could be mistaken. Is there no label at all or did you buy/receive it un-named?
It is sitting in a dish of water, which suggests you have almost killed it with "kindness". Your area does not come up with your name, so people don't know what your zone is or if it is possible to move the plant outdoors for more light (not sun, just brightness).
I would remove the plant from that dish immediately and allow the soil to dry out a bit. You ill probably find that the brown growth does not recover but it may re-shoot. I would also clip off the brown leaves gently as they will only make a mess as they fall.

o

Not a pine, but an Araucaria heterophylla.....commonly called a Norfolk Island Pine, a very common houseplant. Called a pine because it looks like one but isn't a true pine, at all. It apoears to be deader than a doornail, probably from root rot, and I wouldn't spend one minute on trying to revive it.

If you liked this plant, do a bit of research on the care of NIPs, then buy another. They are not a high maintenance plant though very prone to spider mite infestations. They don't need a lot of water.

o

Hi...... the only thing I would add is that did it sit near a
heat fent..these dry out very easy...it looks like it just got to dry....I had one do the same thing..I didn't know it did like to be near a heat vent.......linda

o

Yes, dead NIP. Until you become more practiced with houseplants, stick to the easier ones. NIP is not a beginner plant. The pothos you have in the background is a good starter. Some others would be heart-leaf philodendron, spider plant, sanseveria (snake plant), peace lily, aglaonema (Chinese evergreen), A small (4" or 6") neanthe bella palm would be full like the NIP, and much easier to keep. There's a lot for you to learn - press on.

o

Emerald, very few plants do well near a heat vent....or a A/C vent, for that matter.

o

I agree. That plant is dead. Try to keep plants away from heatvents. Try a spider plant. I ahev incredible luck with them

o

Thanks everyone for the advice. This plant was a gift, and I obviously didn't know what I was doing. I'll discard it and start with something more "beginner-friendly." thefiscuswrangler: I appreciate your suggestions.

o

Hi.....rhizo_1...yes this I have learned....lol.....linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here