Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiept

What house plant do I have?

katiept
10 years ago

I'm new to owning indoor plants, and I don't know what type this plant is. It is high maintenance, requires a lot of water, and browns easily. Does anyone know how to properly care for it?

Comments (8)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

Katiept it appears to have been some sort of pine tree - but I could be mistaken. Is there no label at all or did you buy/receive it un-named?
    It is sitting in a dish of water, which suggests you have almost killed it with "kindness". Your area does not come up with your name, so people don't know what your zone is or if it is possible to move the plant outdoors for more light (not sun, just brightness).
    I would remove the plant from that dish immediately and allow the soil to dry out a bit. You ill probably find that the brown growth does not recover but it may re-shoot. I would also clip off the brown leaves gently as they will only make a mess as they fall.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Not a pine, but an Araucaria heterophylla.....commonly called a Norfolk Island Pine, a very common houseplant. Called a pine because it looks like one but isn't a true pine, at all. It apoears to be deader than a doornail, probably from root rot, and I wouldn't spend one minute on trying to revive it.

If you liked this plant, do a bit of research on the care of NIPs, then buy another. They are not a high maintenance plant though very prone to spider mite infestations. They don't need a lot of water.

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi...... the only thing I would add is that did it sit near a
    heat fent..these dry out very easy...it looks like it just got to dry....I had one do the same thing..I didn't know it did like to be near a heat vent.......linda

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Yes, dead NIP. Until you become more practiced with houseplants, stick to the easier ones. NIP is not a beginner plant. The pothos you have in the background is a good starter. Some others would be heart-leaf philodendron, spider plant, sanseveria (snake plant), peace lily, aglaonema (Chinese evergreen), A small (4" or 6") neanthe bella palm would be full like the NIP, and much easier to keep. There's a lot for you to learn - press on.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Emerald, very few plants do well near a heat vent....or a A/C vent, for that matter.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree. That plant is dead. Try to keep plants away from heatvents. Try a spider plant. I ahev incredible luck with them

• katiept
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice. This plant was a gift, and I obviously didn't know what I was doing. I'll discard it and start with something more "beginner-friendly." thefiscuswrangler: I appreciate your suggestions.

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi.....rhizo_1...yes this I have learned....lol.....linda

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022