Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poinsettia not producing colored leaves

Posted by jgkonnully none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 22:02

I have purchased a Poinsettia which had bright red leaves , but the fresh leaves are not having colors. What should i do to get colored leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poinsettia not producing colored leaves

It will begin produce colors in the late fall, in response to longer nights. Around that time you can put it in an unused (unlit) room - some people even let them spend time in the closet every day - so your evening light in the house isn't disruptive.

Do a search here for poinsettias; I bet there's a whole bunch of info!

o

I see that you are from India. When did you purchase your Poinsettia? Give us a little bit more information and maybe we can help.

o

I purchased it this febrary 2011. i kept in a pot near my bacony, where it gets morning sunlight, my main door faces east

o

Since you purchased it that long ago, and with full red bracts, you can assume that the flowering period is over. Some people are really good at prolonging a poinsettia's 'red' stage by avoiding warm temperatures, providing some good light, etc. It is not unusual, however, for the plant's bracts to drop off as the new growth emerges.

That new growth will be green.

You will have to induce flowering again in order for another display. The actual flowers of this plant are the tiny sticky yellow things in the middle of the red bracts. Flower induction is usually done once per year.

At that time, which should be after about 9 months of good growing conditions, the plant needs about two solid months of 'short day' treatments. This means that your plant should be exposed to very good light for about 11 hours and uninterrupted total darkness for 13. This can be accomplished by sticking the plant in a dark closet sometime in the early evening and pulling it out thirteen hours later.

No peeking, no lights or the cycle will need to start over again from day one.

Quite honestly, most of us consider poinsettias a temporary holiday visitor. Even if we are able to get them to flower again, we can't duplicate the display that the original growers are able to achieve with their hormone applications, special lighting, etc.

Be sure to let me know if I can answer any questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here