Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black roots on spidey

Posted by cghpnd 7 / Virginia (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 22:13

Hey. I stuck my finger in the dirt of my spider plant to see if it needed a drink, I felt a root at the top ( which I repotted not that long ago). Well I looked at the root and its black. What's that mean. I did repot it and about a month Later I put some MG houseplant food in it while I watered. It wasn't as strong as the instructions said though. It seems the roots closes to the top are the ones...

Anything would be helpful. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black roots on spidey

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / Virginia (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 8:11

I took it out of the pot and rinsed it off, didn't want it sitting in whatever is causing it.

o

Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 8:13

Heres what they looke like when I did repot it about a month ago

o

Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 8:15

This is the pieces of the root that literary came off when I gently touched it. Sorry different post, but I haven't figured out how to add all pics at once.

o

It could be that the plant had something wrong in the past, but the new roots look fine. Give the plant some dirt in a pot with a drainage hole. It looks fine.

o

Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 14:13

The new roots are almost all black. The second picture is from when I first repotted it, nothing was wrong with the roots at all, nice light color. The pic on top if you look close at it you can see the black, that's after I tried to get all the black mushy roots off of it. Could the roots be black because I used the plant food?

o

Rot. Excess water.

o

Agreed looks like rot to me. Remove all rotting/rotten roots and re-pot. Should recover fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here