Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ivy - is it worth saving?

Posted by KatOrr none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 22:42

Hello,

I have an ivy plant that we have been trying to shape into a robust, healthy plant, to no avail.

It is in a hanging pot in a North facing bay window, with east and west light during the day. The main problem with this plant is that there are very few actual ivy shoots (tendrils?) coming out of the pot. These tendrils are long and do have quite a lot of leaves, but they feel kind of dry/crisp to the touch - not soft and deep green like I feel they should be.

I want my ivy to be more robust up at the top/by the soil, not as lanky. I think that I definitely need to water it more which will help with the feeling of the leaves, but it won't change the shape of the plant.

I'm wondering if I cut my plant back significantly, and perhaps root new tendrils from the cut back content and replant these in the pot, will I be able to create a robust plant? I don't care so much about having a very long ivy plant as I do having one that looks really healthy, green and beautiful :)

Please, send your recommendations my way!

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivy - is it worth saving?

Here is another picture of the full plant.

o

I would definitely cut it back and try to re-pot the cuttings but not necessarily in the same pot. Once you cut it back it should start a lot of new growth. Continue to cut back everything that reaches a certain length and it should thicken up.

Also, you may want to check for mites, I always get those little butters in my ivy and they do a lot of damage.

As well, once its warm enough outside move it out there and you should see a big increase in growth.

Goodluck,
Tuck

o

i would cut back. inspect for spider mites, they are a major nuisance with this plant

o

I think it looks fantastic! Vines don't usually branch out much unless encouraged to do so by cutting the existing tips. They are in search of something to climb.

Maybe you could put another upright plant in the pot also, to achieve a fuller look.

Tendrils are curly little things that grow along the stems of some vines and wrap around anything they can grab. Ivy has aerial roots instead of tendrils. The pieces of the vine are called shoots or stems, or just vines.

o

i have the same type of ivy. but i only keep it indoors over winter. and it gets very ratty by april and drops most of its leaves: mostly from mites damage. it looks now very similar to yours.i shower it and mist it and lay systemic insectiside on it , it just barely survives. once i put it outside - it completely recovers and gets very bushy. it likes being cool and moist, not hot and dry. one year i had extreme mite damage + it dried up in the western window when i was away - had just long branches left. but it completely regrew and recovered outside come spring/summer. it really needs to be outside. it's not an indoor plant. it is not very easy to root it from cuttings either - best to do it during summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here