Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plz help identify house plant

Posted by dolivo none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 22:46

My husband brought this plant home for me from the grocery store. It had no idenifying marker just a tag that said common house plant. I need to know what it is so i can research bow to care for it. I can post a closer up pic of the leaves if needed.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plz help identify house plant

a Pilea of some kind?

o

Pilea nummulariifolia would be my guess.

o

Thanks to both of u. Yes asleep, youve nailed it. Also known as a creeping charlie or so im reading. Thanks so much for your help!!

o

Thanks to both of u. Yes asleep, youve nailed it. Also known as a creeping charlie or so im reading. Thanks so much for your help!!

o

Hi dolivo,

Don't know where you live, but that is Creeping Charlie. While lovely as a houseplant, be forewarned.....do not summer it outside. If any of it drops anywhere near soil, you will have a battle on your hands! I live in Wisconsin and I'm waging a war against it in my backyard. I'm winning, but it is very slow going. This stuff invades everywhere!

Nancy

o

Nancy, the creeping charlie weed is Glechoma hederacea, a different plant than the Pilea nummularia pictured. The houseplant is a tropical plant and cannot become a pesky nuisance in our gardens. Not unless we live in a tropical or subtropical climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here