Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone put houseplants out?

Posted by michael1846 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 22:49

Does anyone stick there plants outside for the summer im super excited to get most of the 60 outside. (Excluding peacelilys africanviolets & "luckey bsmboo")

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone put houseplants out?

I absolutely do,without fail every year.
Can't wait til it's warm enough.
The new backyard(I moved during the winter)is gonna be awesome once the collection is out there...I can see it all now.

Meanwhile the temp outside is currently 27 degrees.

Guess I better be patient. :)

o

I have one Houseplant outside right now (also four cacti and two "Geraniums" if you want to call them "houseplants"), my Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen.' She'd be inside if I could help it, but she's vining all over the place and space is limited indoors. So, outside she goes.

I had another one last year that I gave away this past Fall (my MIL... okay, the cold killed it). I am still kicking myself for getting rid of it. At least I found a "replacement."

This winter will be fun. :D

Planto

o

Subtropicals have been out for a few weeks now, but this year so far, is very slow to warm. Holding off on the real tropicals (Ficus, Philodendrons, Crotons, etc). I am sure, that once we really shift gears, it will be Summer. What is 'Spring' anyway?

o

I'm not sure what 'Spring' is. We went from snow, to an ice storm, to 87 degrees, back to freezing temperatures. I think it went from winter to summer, back to winter. I don't know of this season called 'Spring.'

Planto

o

Ha! Guess im not the only one i know i have a plant problem when you have shelves...for your collection

o

I have plant stands, four of them (single shelf plant stand type) and I'm currently using an old tin can that had popcorn in it and a cardboard box (temporarily) because I've run out of room! My Husband thinks it looks like a jungle in our bedroom now. :D

Planto

o

LOL I know what you guys mean.

Here's a pic of what was nearly my whole collection,just to give a rough idea of how much had to come in for the winter. ;)

o

I feel ya

o

Yes i have been putting some outside, just to drag them in when it drops below 45 degrees, which hasnt been every night!

o

Please put them in a shady spot.

o

Howdy...

I placed my Gardenia outside this weekend, Saturday, when temps were in the 70's.
Monday's high was 45.. What a drop!

Today, it's cloudy, humid and semi-chilly.

Geranium may go out next..unless temps drop below freezing. Toni

o

Toni...I found one of the missing posts you dropped! ;)

Anyway,..looks like I have to wait a bit more.

Minnesota is full of nasty surprises!

I better get my opuntia back inside(unless someone tells me it'll be okay in the snow. =/

o

Asleep, 'one of the posts you dropped?' What? lol.

Looks too cold. What's the temp? Low and high.
Our area is muddy. I really want to go out and clean.
Murphy's Law. I'd get outside, fetch garden tools, then clouds would open.

Is your Optunia in the photo? I don't see it. If so, will you please point it? Toni

o

Asleep, forget it. I get it.

Delayed reaction, senior moment. lol.

o

Zackey,

I have them covered in burlap for a few ays to shade them, then the plants that like light i will uncover them. Plants for shade i have shady areas in my yard. Yesterday i buried my spider plants with their containers in the ground(it is not frost free yet but spider plants are hardy) and if temps get rather low, i will cover them with inches of burlap if necessary. Albany has had it better than other places this spring. The valley of the hudson seems to create a warm pocket :)

o

Toni,

The opuntia wasn't in the pic. It was just under the windowsill when I shot that image this morning,which must have been at today's low which was thirty two degrees(ideal temp for massive flakes). Currently it's thirty eight out,and the weather report says the high was to be forty five,but nothing on the rest of the chart indicates as much so I must have slept through that part.

Glad the senior moment flew on by.
I stopped and thought about what you could have thought I'd meant and shuddered at the thought that I'd have to explain it...which I spose shouldn't have been too hard really...By "dropped" I merely meant "put into place". ...Yeahhhh that woulda done it!

Easy peasy! :)

o

Asleep, that's all you had to bring in? That's not bad at all! You should see all the ones that never go outside for me!

I'll be putting some out on my balcony once warm weather is here to stay. Mainly my cacti/succulents, some carnivorous plants and a few of my more sun hungry orchids.

o

LOL Paul,
It was all I DARED to put out thus far.

No way I'd risk anything else just yet! :)

o

Howdy,

Hey Teen...Whenever I hear burlap, I think of the material potatoes are packaged. lol.
Are leaves exposed or did you bury the entire plant?
I've never tried burying a plant.

Asleep...I was playing, 'Find The Optunia,' w/o success. lol.
All along, it's not in the photo.

Check weather reports a few times a day. Of course, they're not 100% accurate....they change their minds every hour or two. lol.
Optunias are hardy, but not long-lasting-frosts hardy. I was so busy bringing plants in last fall, my largest Optunia fell behind a perennial bush. I found it two weeks ago. Well, the container looks fantastic. Need I say more?

The Urban definition of 'dropped' wasn't the problem; the phrase 'missing post,' caused a Senior Moment.

Hi Paul...long time no see. Toni

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 1, 14 at 16:54

I overwinter more than 100 plants, indoors - most tropical, but some subtropicals, too. ALL of them go outdoors as soon as possible for summer vacation. For the tropicals (most houseplants), that would be when nights are reliably above 55*. Keep in mind - indoor lodgings are as foreign to spider plants and sansevierias as to sequoias. If your plants could talk, they wouldn't be bashful in expression of their yearning for an outdoor siting.

Al

o

"Hey Teen...Whenever I hear burlap, I think of the material potatoes are packaged. lol.
Are leaves exposed or did you bury the entire plant?
I've never tried burying a plant. "

Hey Hopeful,howya doing,
When I say bury the plants, I mean just burying the container just below the rim, and i surround them with red mulch to hide te container, and they become bedding plants, and then i pull the containers out in fall and bring them back indoors.

Al,
"For the tropicals (most houseplants), that would be when nights are reliably above 55*"

I know, nights here are mid 40s still, not ideal for them, and temps 39 for midweek. They have spent the entire winter is a cool sunroom(January temps down low as 41, heating is exspensive) So I believe they can handle cool temps, and they will be covered heavily midweek from the cold

o

Hi Toni!

Been posting blooms in the monthly bloom threads. Smiley Not a whole lot else going on.

o

Hi Al. Hope you're well.

I agree, plants are demanding vacation time, 'I want out, I want out.' :)

You're certainly acquired a good number of plants over the years.

Teen. One of my favorite authors, James Underwood Crockett, advises summering plants the same as you.
He digs a trench, sets plants in-ground, up to the rim, then covers with, I think Peat..'It's been a while since I've read his book.'

Question. Do you find insects after digging? Eg, ants, spiders, worms?

I've always dreamed of setting plants in trenches, but our area, and most of IL, is terribly infested with ants. The population is incredibly high.
I sometimes listen to talk radio, and one topic was ANTS. lol.

Paul, lol. You sound down.

I've never heard of the Monthly Bloom Thread. Did GW add a new forum?
Don't worry, summer and sunny days are around the corner. Our lives will brighten up. Toni

o

•Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL
"I've never heard of the Monthly Bloom Thread. Did GW add a new forum? "

Nope. But since November or December of 2013, there has been a dedicated thread for what is currently blooming in one's home. Tiff (Purple) started it as I recall. Since then, each month there has been a thread started by someone for everyone to post pics of their bloomers. (Flowers! Not the undergarments! ... Sheesh! get your minds out of the gutter folks! ROTFL photo smiley-laughing025_zpsf9394b4c.gif ) Included a link to April's thread in case you missed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: April bloomers

o

Paul, I understand.

I haven't been around much, but I recall Purple or Mike starting a flowering, plant of the month thread.

Bloomers! Mind in the gutter? Have you seen bloomer photos? lol. If you said thong, 'not the shoe,' well, maybe.......................

Thanks for the link, Toni

o

I think my plants are happier outside and dont seem to mind the chilly, if not outright cold nights, we get here in albany in early may. Im putting tomatoes out in 2 weeks! But trust me, im watching forcast daily, because frost can easily creep up on Albany NY gardeners:)

o

Looking like 40s for lows this week. Not exactly the 55 that Al suggests. That's always been a general rule of mine when it comes to tropicals. Also,the native canopy hasn't filled in and budding has been slow in the coming so the area they'd be going to is still getting enough sun to do some serious burning. My chlorophytums would likely handle the temps,but no way I'm letting 'em get that much sun that fast. Did an experiment last year where I'd put one in a bed in full sun without any "sneaking up on the light" first,and that sucker burned to the ground. Every day I look out at that spot and up at the trees overhead like a kid waiting for xmas.. Last year when living at the old place,it was like...june...before conditions were acceptable and september when they had to come back in. Probably the thing I hate most about minnesota.

Where I come from,approximately 90 days does not a growing season make!

*goes back to staring out window*

o

These have been outside for a few weeks, but finally put some hooks up for some of these. All of the pots got sand splashed all over them when we had 5" of rain the other day. Should come back off in the next downpour...

I haven't groomed dead leaves yet, so don't look at those OK?

o

The whole back yard will be getting a make-over this summer, but pots are hanging where they can, and on the ground under trees for now.

o

This pole is just here, no live wires going to it. I knew the first time I saw it, it needed plants. A lot of these got way too dry inside (from my laziness) so consider this a 'before' shot. In a month or so, it'll be a whole different pole. Ideally, it *needs* some rex Begonia vine alllll over it, but all that's in the ground at my Mom's house, struggling to recover after being dropped about a month ago. Don't think I brought any sweet potato vine with me, (decided to give it up since it keeps giving me a rash no matter how careful I think I'm being to not get its' latex sap on me,) but if any shows up, on the pole it shall go.

o

Some plants did get sunburned in my exuberance for them to be back in the amount of sun I know they can handle, but to which they should have been acclimated. To see some of those accidents, check this discussion.

These plants are especially happy about going back out and, of course, go in the shade, so no worries about sunburn. Impatiens, Coleus, Begonias, Hypoestes.

o

Mini garden stayed outside all winter, under a roof but exposed to temps below freezing many nights, and in the teens for 2 nights in a row. Protected by a sheet, though I don't know how much that mattered, or didn't matter. It was against a wall by a leaky window too, that could have helped a bit, IDK. I attribute most of the success to being dddrrryyy except a light sprinkle during the occasional warm afternoon, maybe monthly. This wasn't a hardiness experiment, just lack of realistic expectations about this being able to come inside when put together last spring.

Various Haworthias, Beaucarnea recurvata (ponytail palm,) watch chain Crassula, Lithops (living stones,) a few different Sedums (clavatum, tetragona, rubrotinctum,) Portulacaria afra, 'Ghosty' (Graptosedum.)

o

Nice plants, this has been out for a week so far and the forcast calls for 70s day and mid 50s at night here. My plants will finally get a break from lower 40s and a few day ago it dropped into the mid 30s. I had brought most of them inside and covered the house plants already in the ground so I think everything looks good and even better that they are actualy getting sunlight. I dont think the cold bothers them as much as my small amounts of sun we have. Here people have been planting marigolds and coleus but I think the ground it a little chilly yet for that. Ground temps below 55 can stunt the roots to these plats. I have been alittle more cautious, For our frost free date is actuallu may 16........

o

May still be too cold out by night,but I had to get them out of the apartment.

Here's a group of spath mauna loa surrounding my philo bips.

o

A shot taken hanging out my window.

This is to the left facing out.

o

And this is to the right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here