Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Pothos has bugs

Posted by longstocking 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 23:06

I just bought my first house plant at Lowe's. I should have done more research first but it had a tag that said #1 houseplant so I went for it.
When I got it home I turned it upside down and noticed some creepy crawly bugs. They look like a centipede. Round and brown with a lot of legs. I picked off three of them just on the bottom of the container. Do I need to worry about eggs in the dirt, or more bugs? Could they infest my house or be dangerous? Should I take the plant back?
On another side note, if I keep the plant is it okay to have around kids who might take a nibble every once in awhile?
What is the best kid safe houseplant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Pothos has bugs

As for the bugs, it's up to you. You can take it back, or deal with the bugs. To deal with them, I would wash ALL soil off the roots to get rid of any more bugs or eggs. You risk infecting any other plants you have by not dealing with it right away. I make sure and ALWAYS check any plant very close, including pulling it out of it's pot, and checking the roots, before buying.

Now, onto the safety thing. I've heard of cats nibbling at plants, but not children. I have two daughters, 3 and 5, who've never shown any interest in my plants at all, other then wanting to help water them. I don't know what the "best" kid safe plant is, because that's subjective. I'd do a google search of "non-toxic houseplants", and from there, decide which is best for you. I have many plants that are toxic, but note that many around your yard are toxic as well. I think a good majority of plants in general are toxic. There is many other things around the house I'd worry about my kids getting into before plants. It's kind of like the topic of "pools and guns". Many parents won't allow their kids to go to a friend's house who's parents own guns, but they'll let them go to a house with a pool. The ratio of deaths of children by drowning in pools vs being shot, is 10,000:1, respectively. So, in short, don't worry about your kids, or just keep an eye on them, or keep the plants up higher then a 1 or 2 year old can reach.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here