Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumb Cane

Posted by drvongirl (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 23:06

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted but I still enjoy reading the post of how everyone's plants are doing? I have a dumb cane that is loosing lower leafs one by one.They turn yellow and drop off. It's in well draining soil and i use pro foilage when I water, it gets late afternoon filtered sunlight. It was root pruned and transplated about a month ago after being rootbound in the pot I bought it in. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what to do?

I have another dumb cane and it did the same thing. Now it has become a 26inch stalk with leaves at the top because of the leap drop. If anyone can refer me to the link to post a pic i will, it's been so long since I did it, I forgot how. thanks ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumb Cane

That's how they grow.

In their natural environment they grow along the ground with only the top end aiming upwards. They may branch out and grow new roots along the stem but mostly they just snake along the ground.

I posted about this question last year on the IAS aroid forum and that seemed to be the consensus among the expert aroid growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dieffenbachia growth pattern

o

thanks for the information and the link, atleast now I know it's not something I am doing!

o

Yeah, that's what I thought too. For several years the thing flopped around and needed to lean against something or be tied up. I de-potted it a couple of times to check the roots but they were always ok. The stem was firm like a hose under pressure and no mushy spots but it would bend so much it could be potted up but bent over and running along the floor. Now it's bound to a pole and almost touches the ceiling, I guess I'll have to give it the chop one of these days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here